Chapter 7 - The Ministry of Magic

The night of Harry's hearing, Aurora hadn't slept at all. She kept seeing the cursed pink toad in her dreams, this time sitting in some dark courtroom, telling the attendees that Harry should be expelled from Hogwarts.

It was five in the morning when she decided she'd had enough and dressed and crept downstairs, careful to avoid squeaky floorboards as she made her way downstairs. Perhaps her reason for being awake at this hour was obvious to the people gathered in the kitchen that they did not ask Aurora why she was down there.

Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Sirius, Lupin, and Tonks were all gathered in the kitchen, talking amongst themselves. All of them were fully dressed except Mrs. Weasley, who was wearing a quilted, purple dressing gown.

When Harry entered half an hour later, she leapt to her feet.

"Breakfast," she said as she pulled out her wand and hurried over to the fire.

"M-m-morning, Harry," yawned Tonks. Her hair was blonde and curly this morning. "Sleep all right?"

"Yeah," said Harry.

"I've b-b-been up all night," she said, with another shuddering yawn. "Come and sit down. . . ." She drew out a chair, knocking over the one beside it in the process.

"What do you want, Harry?" Mrs. Weasley called. "Porridge? Muffins? Kippers? Bacon and eggs? Toast? Aurora, you?"

"Just — just toast, thanks," said Harry. He looked at Aurora and asked her, "Why are you up?"

"Couldn't sleep. Toast is fine as well, Mrs. Weasley."

Lupin glanced at Harry and Aurora, then said to Tonks, "What were you saying about Scrimgeour?"

"Oh . . . yeah . . . well, we need to be a bit more careful, he's been asking Kingsley and me funny questions. . . ."

Aurora felt vaguely grateful that she was not required to join in the conversation. Mrs. Weasley placed a couple of pieces of toast and marmalade in front of Harry and Aurora. Mrs. Weasley sat down on his other side and started fussing with his T-shirt, tucking in the label and smoothing out creases across the shoulders.

". . . and I'll have to tell Dumbledore I can't do night duty tomorrow, I'm just t-t-too tired," Tonks finished, yawning hugely again.

"I'll cover for you," said Mr. Weasley. "I'm okay, I've got a report to finish anyway. . . ."

Mr. Weasley was not wearing wizard's robes but a pair of pinstriped trousers and an old bomber jacket. He turned from Tonks to Harry.

"How are you feeling?"

Harry shrugged.

"It'll all be over soon," Mr. Weasley said bracingly.

"In a few hours' time you'll be cleared."

Harry said nothing.

"The hearing's on my floor, in Amelia Bones's office. She's Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement and she's the one who'll be questioning you."

"Amelia Bones is okay, Harry," said Tonks earnestly. "She's fair, she'll hear you out."

Harry nodded.

"Don't lose your temper," said Sirius abruptly. "Be polite and stick to the facts."

Harry nodded again.

"The law's on your side," said Lupin quietly. "Even underage wizards are allowed to use magic in life-threatening situations."

Mrs. Weasley was attacking Harry's hair with a wet comb. She pressed hard on the top of his head.