Chapter 9: The Fall of Procestious

A few days earlier. Ryan arrived at the academy Veran stood in the campus gardens. Ryan and the children watched Veran thrust the air with his fists, which sparked. He concentrated his energy and sensed Ryan's presence. He didn't even turn when he spoke.

"I have feared this moment for many years," Veran said calmly.

Veran faced them and smiled at the young, innocent children, "War is inevitable, and we must defend ourselves, to survive," he said, and sat down. Veran passed his hand over the blades of grass as if stroking the garden's hair.

"Uncle Veran, what's going on? Why are Mam and Dad so worried?" Tyler asked.

Veran chuckled at Tyler's naïveté and ruffled the young Jambherian's messy silver hair.

"Your parents are doing all they can to protect you," Veran replied and smiled to comfort Tyler. Ryan crossed his arms and sighed. Veran sensed his frustration.

"Protect us from what? From the androids? They're coming for us, it's all over the news, androids revolting, killing everyone in sight. They'll strike this district next!" Ryan cried, tears rolling down his cheeks. Veran stood to console Ryan.

"Get ahold of yourself, boy! I have taught you all how to defend yourselves. Now, you have to be strong, for them!" Veran motioned to the little ones.

"Your father has planned every last detail and has prepared us for an attack. We have to trust his judgment," Veran added, and ushered the children towards the academy's hallway. "Come, your father has instructed me to take you to my home. You see I have no androids there," he reassured them.

"Won't we be lonely at your house, Uncle?" Cherry asked.

Veran looked down at her and smiled. "We won't be lonely; we have the elements with us," he replied, and they exited the academy.

Protos rounded up the Capital's guards at the City Defense barracks. He stood next to his right hand man and Sheri's father. Jert and the guards saluted him. Protos cleared his throat and addressed his men. "Many of you have heard about the attacks around the Capital and that the androids have been plotting to attack the government district next. I am here to confirm that this is correct. Yes, the androids are getting closer, this district is our last bastion and we have to be ready to defend it," he said as he paced in front of his soldiers.

"Our only hope is to reunite as many soldiers from around the city here before they arrive. But we are at a disadvantage, we know that Ferrius has been able to gather up a considerable sized army of androids and he is gathering more by the minute. However, what we do know is that my son Ryan has recently come into contact with the corrupted androids and has learned that their plasma conduits have turned blood red, and we will use this to our advantage," Protos explained.

Jert stepped forward to debrief the soldiers. "In summary, any androids you see that have red conduits or conduits that are turning red are to be eliminated on sight. No questions asked, understood?" He bawled so that every soldier understood his urgency.

"SIR, YES SIR!" The chorus of deep voices rang across the barrack grounds and they all rushed to their designated vehicles for immediate deployment.

Protos noticed Jert's dark face, his hazel eyes staring blankly at the horizon. "What is troubling you, Jert?" Protos asked.

"I have a bad feeling about this, Protos. These androids have a tactical advantage over us and we are going to fight a war we cannot win," he replied.

Protos did his best to reassure Jert. "My plans will protect our people. You must trust my instincts, Jert. We will triumph," he promised.

They reached the offices. A large metallic door slid open and granted access to the war room, which was filled with seated Jambherian military officials. They stood in respect to Protos, who signaled to them to sit; he stood in front of a large crystal table and waved his hand to activate it.