Chapter one - Ordinary day

Here is a sample from chapter one.

You can find the full story on Amazon. 

**

The snow is getting heavier. I grab a hat from my bag and pull it on. I pull my hood up and zip my sweatshirt tight. I don't have a winter jacket. Scott threw it in the fire during a bonfire last winter. He hasn't seen the need to get me a new one. The road seems to wind on forever. As I get further along, I see a road closed ahead sign.

"Shit."

I look back, and the snow is coming down hard. I'm not even sure how far the last town was. Not to mention, I can't go back. I must keep putting distance between him and me. I decide to keep walking and see; maybe there's still some other way. It's the only choice I have.

I'm so cold. my legs ache, and my feet are numb, but I keep going.

Then I hear the roar of an engine behind me and jump.

Oh god! I freeze. My heart is racing so hard I feel faint. It catches up to me quickly and stops. It's not the rusty pickup that's pulled up next to me. Instead, it's a black Diesel truck.

It's not him. My panic diminishes slightly.

The window rolls down, and a man sticks his head out the window. He's good-looking, from what I can see of his face. He has dark brown eyes, olive skin, and scruffy facial hair. A lot of his face is covered by shaggy-looking brown hair sticking out of a black hat.

"What are you doing out here on this road!?" he's yelling, and it startles me. I jump a little.

"I got off the bus and got turned around," I explain feebly. "Can you direct me back to the closest stop?"

"No time. Get in," he says in a cold tone.

"Excuse me? I don't even know you."

"This isn't stopping. " He gestures to the snow falling in sheets around us. "The road behind me just closed. This one will soon too."

"How do I know I can trust you?" I am wary, but my toes are numb, and it's getting worse by the second.

"Just get in. I'm not going to leave you to die out here."

I can see for myself how much the snow is intensifying. I'm not sure this is the best idea, but it seems like it's my only choice. I climb into the truck and shut the door behind me.

"Uh, thanks," I mutter as I climb in. The heat blowing at me is welcoming and instantly starts to warm me.

"Why are you out in a snowstorm on a closed road? Are you on drugs?" He's staring at me like I am; his dark brown eyes almost seem accusing as they examine me.

"No!" I exclaim. "I, um...it's a long story."

He doesn't say anything. He simply grips the steering wheel tighter. Focused solely, it would seem, on the road ahead of us.

"Is there a hotel or something close?" I hope I can bargain with the staff. Maybe offer to work for a room. I'll figure it out when I get there.

"Are you from around here?" He side-eyes me quizzically.

"No," I say simply. I don't even know where here is. But he already thinks I'm on drugs, so I don't say that.

"Why would anyone just come to Sleetfort?" he asks in a doubtful tone.

"Why not? Maybe for a change of scenery," I offer.

"We get so much snow that our roads can't handle it. They shut everything down in the winter. There is no hotel, no stores. Nothing. Then once it snows, they shut the roads down too. Anyone who stays is prepared to hunker down in their home all winter.

I'm stunned and silent, my mouth slightly agape in a silent gasp. On the one hand, I'm screwed and have nowhere to go other than with this stranger. On the other hand, Scott literally cannot get to me. It's a weird mix of relief and worry at the same time. I look out the window. It's nearly whiteout conditions out there now.

"Not the kind of town you visit in the winter for a 'change of scenery." He mocks my answer with a slight scoff.

He's starting to irritate me. I understand it's weird that he found me out in the middle of nowhere, but come on.

"Like I said, it's a long story." I don't usually defend myself, and I am surprised I did.

"It was reckless and stupid," he says with a sharp bite in his words.

Just my luck. I get rescued by a jerk. I don't say anything. I know better than to poke the bear.

"If I hadn't come along, you would have died out here." His tone slightly softens, but he doesn't look directly at me. He's staring straight ahead, concentrating on the road.

I realize the gravity of the situation, and he is right. I wouldn't have had anywhere to go and would've frozen to death out here. It was a dumb move to get off the bus in the middle of nowhere.

"Thank you," I finally say.

"Don't mention it."

"...I'm Haven." I offer. He couldn't look less interested.

"Alec." He sounds annoyed to give it.

I bite back the urge to say, 'sorry I asked'.

We continue driving straight ahead, but he starts slowing down. He turns slowly and carefully down a dirt road that is already covered in thick wet snow.

"Where are we going then?" If there wasn't anywhere for him to take me, that meant—

"To my house."

"Your house?"

I'm not surprised. Where else could we go? But I gulp nervously anyway.

"It's literally the only option," he says.

"I'll leave right away in the morning, as soon as the snow lets up," I promise. I can see how badly I'm putting him out.

"The snow doesn't let up until March if we're lucky. Nothing opens back up until at least April." He laughs humorously and shakes his head.

"What?" It comes out as a shocked gasp.

"Say hello to your new home, I guess." His words ooze with sarcasm as he pulls down a long driveway.

It's going to be a long cold winter.