03

Levi

11:00 Am, San Francisco, California

    The weather is gloomy. The type of gloomy that makes you want to stay in. The type that most adults would call ugly. Not me though, because I decided to be an idiot and get shit face drunk last night. So now I'm paying for it. Walking in the rain, trying to find my car.

    I had drunkenly called Nick to pick me up because I was far too drunk to drive home by myself.

He had said, "you stupid idiot I got shit faced drunk and fucked someone and still got home by my self."

But he still came to pick me up after. He's a good guy.

    Running up to my black car, I unlocked it and got in. Starting it up, I look towards the dashboard, seeing the picture of my mother and younger sister. My mother looks around 35 and my little sister is 14, a smile on both of their faces. Too bad they will stay that age forever. Glazing the tip of my fingers over the picture I can't help but feel even more shitty.

My hair is wet along with my clothes and it is getting my seat wet making everything uncomfortable. I start to pull out of the parking lot and drive home. It's a long drive until I finally get there, glancing at the clock I read the time, 12:00 Pm. I park the car then hop out and make my way up to our apartment.

The apartment building was large and luxurious with swooping chandeliers and marble floors. It was a lot different from the structures they had in japan, where they we mostly modern and comfortable.

Opening the door to our apartment, I knew that Max and Nick weren't home because normally there was always some type of sound coming from the living room or kitchen and Nick had dropped me off earlier saying Max had some sort of interview for a job so I was all alone.

It's not that I'm not able to afford one of these by myself, it's just that when I moved here from Japan two years ago I met Nick and we were fast friends. He needed someone that could pay some of the rent because he and his little brother couldn't afford it all. So I agreed to pay half of it and live with them.

Kicking off my shoes I walk over to the kitchen, pulling out my phone, and opening the fridge. I fill a glass with ice and water, then shut the fridge, clicking on my voice mails I listen to them. I pull a cigarette out of my pocket as the phone lines sounds, "one voicemail  from Haru Yama,"

A beep noice goes off as I groan waiting for the lecture to start, brushing my hair out of my face, "Seriously, Levi? I know you're angry at me but this game has gone on long enough. We've been ignoring each other for 2 years and the moment I call you, you don't answer."

I hold the cigarette up to my lips, lighting it as the phone goes on, "I know what you've been doing over there in the States and you need to knock it off. People here in japan hear things across the world, what you do affects our reputation. But that's not what I'm calling you about. There's a chance I'm getting married." I cough on the smoke as I hear the word 'married', my eyes widening. "Call me back," then the phone beeps again and shuts off.

Turning off my phone, shoving it into my pocket, I stand up with a cigarette in one hand and a glass of water in the other.

Marriage? Haru? Theres no way. Yeah, he was the more responsible one out of the both of us but I thought he swore off marriage after seeing how mom felt about hers.

Walking into my room then my bathroom, I turn on the water faucet for the marble bath tub then push down the lever so it will fill. Oddly the tub was in front of a big window which was tinted but not enough, showing a view of both the inside and outside.

Placing the glass on the rim of the tub and putting the cigarette between my lips, I take off my clothes then step into the pool of water. Sitting down, the tub could fit two people, I take another drag of my cigarette, pulling it away from my mouth, letting the smoke drift from my lips.

The thoughts of my half sister and my mother always plagued me on this day. January 10th the day they drowned in a terrible storm at sea. It was so many years ago and yet I thought about it often.

I remember my little sister, her smile and laugh, the way we would run in the backyard, the way we would train together, secretly, and she would always beat me.

I remember my mother, her smile and laugh, the way she would sing to me, my sister, and even Haru. She was always nice to Haru even though he wasn't hers.

Putting my cigarette out in the ashtray on the rim of the tub. I lay back sliding farther into the tub until my face submerged in the water.

Fuck, I hate when I remember.