Taffy

Another day. Another shift.

Waking up at the Hawkins Laboratory is something that you still need to get used to, and the blaring alarm clock just adds more difficulty to that. Nonetheless, you're still grateful because without the clock, you would've slept in so many times, and Dr. Brenner will not tolerate a tardy nurse.

You miss your old house. Thinking back on it, you've worked here for three and a half years, and thoughts of your former home are gradually slipping through your mind. You certainly miss the freedom, space, and privacy. Your past memories are becoming forlorn and forgotten, and the laboratory is the only thing that's really invading your mind. Well, now that you realize it, your mind is always thinking of your job: the repetitive but necessary procedures, organization, and data collecting. 

However, even though this job of yours seems like it's only brought you bad, it's also presented you to new things or specifically people like Peter Ballard. You remember when you first met him. The introduction of each other's names were quick and short, yet it was still quite memorable. You remember how proper and tidy he was. His eyes were difficult to read, and you weren't sure if he liked you or not as a new nurse. There wasn't any depth to his blue eyes. It made you uncomfortable, but his voice was what lured you in, so to speak. Even though he was a peculiar coworker, he stood out to you the most because of his hair.

Now, no other male in the facility lets their hair grow out like Peter does, and you noticed that as soon as you met the rest of your coworkers. He always styles his hair every day, and you find that very charming. He makes sure that his physical appearance practically screams proper, tidy, and professional.

Today, your shift is different. 

Dr. Brenner says that they're going to do a group lesson today, and that no one should be harmed whatsoever. He requests that you watch the kids through the double sided glass and write down everything that's happening. However, he never told you the details of the group lesson, but you are very excited to be doing something different other than waiting inside the infirmary. 

So here you are. In the separate room that peers into the testing one.

You make it just before the kids, Brenner, and Peter do. You hear the patter of tiny feet as you get your paper and pencil ready. Doing this task won't be as different as you documenting everything that's happened in the infirmary, and you're extremely grateful for that.

You look into the room to see a big circle that has light bulbs attached to it. As the children line up, you see Dr. Brenner and Peter have a conversation. Peter's eyebrows furrow as he looks tensely at Brenner. His lips form into a thin line, and he suddenly moves closer to the glass and looks at the children. 

You smile and let out a tiny giggle as you glance at the back of his head. His hair looks nice today, but then again, it always does. While looking at Peter, you are reminded of how proper his posture is as he moves his hands behind his back.

Dr. Brenner starts explaining the lesson. You write down a brief summary of what you heard and titled the paper 'Light/Energy Manipulation'.

Brenner announces that the task requires concentration and extreme focus. They're going to have to use their powers to transfer the electricity to turn on the light bulbs. Their goal is to somehow concentrate the energy and move it to other bulbs. Brenner smiles after his brief description and asks who would like to go first.

002 raises his hand, and Brenner picks him. 

It's so quiet in the room as 002 walks over to the chair. Peter starts untangling the headpiece with wires and puts it on 002's head. With a nod from Brenner, the child starts using his powers.