14. Two people who are not vampires attempt to seduce me

The train ride was fine until Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

For the first seven hours or so we were able to rest. We ate the sandwiches Charon had made us, took naps and people-watched. There weren't that many other passengers in our car. There was a family of four, who played card games and went over their plans in Cleveland. They were going to visit their grandparents.

A few rows behind me sat a young couple. I assumed they were in the early stages of their relationship because they would not stop touching and kissing each other. Everyone in the car felt awkward about it at first, but we learned to ignore it.

There was also an old man with a dog. The man had a white beard that rivalled Santa's, and he wore a sherpa denim jacket and a fisherman's cap. The dog was a colourful mix of white, brown and black with mismatching eyes — one brown, and one light blue. I wasn't good with dog breeds, but he must have had at least some Australian Shepard in him.

I entertained myself by walking the entire distance of the train. The other cars were much fuller than ours, so I considered myself lucky.

It was almost midnight when we arrived in Pittsburgh. I was the only one awake; Charon and Amelia, who sat across the plastic table opposite to me, were both sound asleep. I wished I had a camera; Charon's head had fallen on Amelia's. I'd never seen them look so peaceful in a shared space.

The family and the couple were sleeping as well. I wasn't sure about the old man; his arms were crossed and his cap was over his eyes, but his hand was repeatedly petting the dog almost like it was an instinct.

Two passengers boarded our car. A man and a woman, both tall and graceful like models. They must've been twins because they looked just like each other; sleek black hair, sharp features and sour frowns. They wore matching tight-fitting black pants, dark grey wool coats, sunglasses and shiny leather shoes. They took the seats on the opposite side of the aisle from me.

I couldn't see their eyes, but I had a nasty feeling they were staring at me. Neither of them talked or moved; they just sat still like statues. The bearded man's dog started growling quietly.

"What a scent."

My hairs stood up. The whisper sounded like it was right in my ear, but there was no one that near. I hadn't even seen anyone's lips move — the new passengers were as still as ever, and no one else but the dog seemed to be awake.

"Tasty blood, but not for us, not for now."

I kicked Charon's leg under the table, but he didn't wake up, just mumbled something about flutes and surf boards.

"He thinks he can run, the son of two bloods. What's the use in running, when you can fight back?"

"He doesn't know, he doesn't care. Wasted potential."

"Shall we show him what he can do?"

"What he can make?"

"What he should fear?"

I didn't hear or see them move, but suddenly the man and the woman stood right next to me, towering over me. They had removed the sunglasses to reveal their eyes. They were a brutal shade of red, like freshly spilled blood.

"What are you?" I asked them. Not very polite of me, I realised; probably should've at least asked who they were, first.

"The same as you. Better than the rest," the woman said in a fake-sweet voice.

"We can teach you, if you'd like," the man said. His hand reached out to touch my jaw. His skin was freezing cold. His mouth opened, just enough that I could see a pair of razor sharp fangs.