CHAPTER SIX, the search for intelligent life

(winnie's outfit for this part of the chapter) 

"I'm just saying. Bella and Tad are not the perfect couple. She yelled at him for getting her coffee wrong." Ashley points out. She frowns. "She treats him like a dummy."

Her, Brooke, and Winnie look over at the table Tad sat at with some of his friends. The trio watch as he tries to get the salt out of the salt shaker but has trouble. He leaned backwards, raising it above it head, getting some of it in his eye in the process. He immediately set down teh salt shaker, wincing as he covered his eye.

Winnie glances at Ashley with a raised eyebrow. "I mean, he kinda is a dummy." She smiles slightly. "But we still love him." 

Ashley shrugs. "That could happen to anyone." She commented, referring to what just happened with Tad.

Brooke exchanges a glance with Winnie. "Ash, we know you like him. Is that really what this is about?" Brooke asks Ashley, looking back at the Latina girl along with Winnie. "I mean, all you really know about Tad is that he's eye candy." 

Ashley smiles dreamingly. "Tad is sweet."

Brooke hums in agreement. "Like candy." Winnie chuckled, pointing at her in a sign of agreement.

"There's more to Tad than meets the eye." Ashley defends Tad. She smiles widely. "He has depth."

Brooke shakes her head. "Oh, girl, you are so crushing on him."

"No, I'm over that." Ashley denies. She looks over at Tad, who was now standing at the counter. "Now I just want to be his friend."

"Denial is a river in Egypt." Winnie remarked before she took a sip of her coffee. She didn't believe it one bit that Ashley was over her feelings for Tad.

Brooke nods in agreement. Then she smirks at Winnie. "I could say the same about you with your feelings for Stick." Winnie's face heats up and she doesn't say anything as she continued to keep drinking her coffee. Brooke then glances at Ashley with amusement. "And I'll pretend that I didn't just see you checking out Tad's butt."

Ashley had a nervous look on her face and then she scoffs. "I was not-" After seeing it was no use to argue, she looks down with an embarrassed look. "Thank you." Picking up her coffee cup, Brooke nodded in response.

A few moments later Stick walks inside and joins the girls at the table with a worried look on his face. Winnie frowns, looking at him with concern and sets her coffee cup on the table. "Stick, what's wrong?"

"I lost my partner for quiz bowl, and we have a big match on Saturday." Stick replied.

Brooke raises her eyebrows at him. "Why are you doing quiz bowl?"

"Two reasons, the really cool letterman's jacket-vests..." Stick's smile fell half way through his sentence. "And my mom thinks I need every extracurricular for my college applications." He adds. "I need to medal in quiz bowl."