Chapter 1: Under the Freezing Rain

Cornwall, UK, 1969

Isabella Faye stood inside a local bar, facing the entrance. The bartender offered the stunning young blonde another drink. She refused, wondering what was taking Aidan so long.

Outside, the weather was much colder than usual, the sky completely gray, signaling the coming of some kind of storm. As if to confirm Isabella's thoughts, it started to rain. She took a deep breath. Aidan had agreed to pick her up at seven sharp. He was thirty minutes late. This wouldn't have bothered her so much had she not been carrying a fake ID.

Sitting in the bar next to her, her older friend Jago, twenty-two, attempted to calm her down, "Ella, relax, you don't look your age, that makeup did you wonders. Besides, you've always been too tall for a teenager. No one will notice, you look gorgeous. That's all that can be seen."

"My dad will have my head if he knows I'm here."

"He'll do what? Disown you? Daddy's little rich girl can't be going around giving the family a bad name, hanging out at local bars with hoodlums," he clicked his tongue in mock disapproval.

"Shut up, Jay."

Jago laughed, a rich, velvet sound, his emerald eyes twinkled with amusement. He took a long drag from his cigarette, smoke rising past the single greased curl that fell on his forehead. Jago would have been considered, in fact, a hoodlum by Isabella's father. What with his many tattoos and biker outfit. Not to mention his motorcycle sitting outside and his smoking (anything) habit. He looked like he'd be part of a gang, but at the same time like he'd jumped right out of one of the romance novels she enjoyed to read, where the men often looked like greek gods.

"What do you think your daddy would think of your boyfriend?"

Isabella smiled dreamily, "Aidan is a good boy. Sure, he's not rich but... He's kind and caring. He loves me, you know."

Jago chuckled, "That doesn't answer my question. But the kid's okay I suppose. Got stars in his eyes. I'm sure he'll charm your family's pants off."

At that, Isabella flashed a beaming grin, "I hope so."

The girl's thoughts drifted to the night before. Aidan had taken her for a picnic on the beach, at midnight. The seventeen-year-old boy, a few months younger than her, had showed up at her house and snuck in through a window.

"Ella, wake up," Aidan shook her shoulder gently.

Isabella's eyes fluttered open, "What on earth are you doing here!" She exclaimed, sitting up with a start.

He shushed her, "Keep your voice down. You'll wake your parents."

"Aidan, what..."

He cut her off. "I have a surprise for you."

Isabella frowned, rubbing her eyes, "What time is it?"

"Around twelve."

"What could you possibly want to give me at midnight?"

"It's not what I want to give you. It's what I want to show you."

"Alright, I'll bite. What do you want to show me?"

"You'll see. We have to drive there. Come on, my car's parked outside."

She sighed, holding back a smile, and followed the dark haired boy outside.

Aidan drove her to a beach not too far from her house. She'd been there before, but never at night. Isabella loved the ocean, she was an avid surfer, one of the few girls who did so.