Chapter 3: The Era of the Rainbow Child

A/N: Listen to the song up top while you read! ^

:)

Heppy reading! Enjoy!

Anastasia's hands glided across the keys of the piano with finesse, and the melody that the instrument produced in return was heartbreaking.

She had not been able to sleep that night, or the night before. She had not heard of Marina either.

The girl whose eyes reminded her of a lush green forest, standing under the watch of a deep blue sky. They would shine with the light of a thousand suns when she'd look at Aidan. Anastasia wished it was the 1960's again, when Marina was Isabella, hopelessly in love with Aidan, about to start a family with him, with her, with Anastasia.

Her right hand left the piano to rest on her forehead, she was starting to get a headache.

"That was beautiful," said Emma, who had been watching Anastasia play from the doorway of the attic, "don't stop."

"My head hurts."

"I'm sorry. About the cancer, about everything. You'll find Jayden's mother, I promise. I'll help.  I won't let you die." Said Emma, a stern look of determination on her face.

Anastasia had explained everything two nights before, after her talk with the ghost of Tamsyn Faye.

After Ana had managed to stop the nosebleed, Emma had inquired about the unsent message she saw on her phone. She'd had to put everything into words for her friend, the diagnosis, and her talk with the spirit guide. Emma had seemed unfazed by it all, reassuring her that she wouldn't die.

When Anastasia didn't say anything, Emma added, "We will find her. I promise."

Anastasia remained quiet, "Here," Emma opened her hand to reveal two blue pills, "I figured you might get a headache, brought you some painkillers."

"Thanks." Ana stood and took the pills. Grabbing a glass of water from Emma, she swallowed them, wishing they were the magic little blue pills that would wake her up from this nightmare.

They weren't.

Reluctantly, she sat back down in front of the grand piano and continued playing the melancholic song she'd composed.

"You know, that party Marina invited you to is tomorrow." Emma said. She walked closer to rest a hand on her best friend's shoulder, "Are you planning on going?"

"I bought the ticket." Ana replied without bothering to stop playing.

"Do you need a ride there?"

"No, my brother and his friends are going. I'll get a ride from him."

Emma sighed, she wasn't going to break her friend out of this depressing trance, "Okay."

It was a friday and Anastasia didn't have any classes on fridays. Emma had tried to ask her to go out but she'd refused. She seemed depressed and Emma didn't blame her. She was dying, after all. Emma had put on a strong front to make her friend believe she wasn't going to die but the truth was: Emma was scared. Anastasia had always seemed to be a goddess in Emma's eyes, a magnificent work of art, but to other girls she'd come off as strange. She was always, in fact, hiding something. She hadn't had much luck in past relationships, and Marina struck Emma as someone who was difficult to begin with. How was Anastasia going to get her to fall in love?

If only Marina knew her like I do, she thought and sighed.

****

Emma's car pulled up in front of a small modern building that read Florida Institute of Spiritualism. The building itself was an incredible sight, it was all made of glass, mirrors, and it reminded Emma of the jagged edges of a quartz stone emerging from the ground. The building was reflecting the colors of the trees around it, the sky, and colorful objects that whooshed past the mirrors, the cars passing by.