Three

Texas pt.1

Lucas ran up to the girls in clear distress, dressed in his rodeo gear. "Oh, hi! Hey! Uh, yeah. I just saw Tombstone the bull, and uh, why do you hate me?"

Maya made a face of concern. His reaction to the news in New York scared her, but Riley thought everything was fine, and she and Lucas knew each other well, so Maya fought her instincts and chose to believe everything was fine.

"Oh, come on, a bull is just a man cow." Riley mocked him.

Her comment made Maya laugh and lightened the dark feeling she had.
"You're scared of a man cow. Ah moo." Maya teased Lucas, trying to make him feel better.

Lucas's face fell and pointed at the two girls.

"You two have never actually seen a bull, have you?" Lucas asked, trying not to take his fear out on the girls.
"No!" Riley chirped cheerfully

Maya's face fell back into worry. How big was this bull? Lucas never normally freaked out like this. I mean, sure she could rattle him easily just fine, but she's never seen him scared like this.

"What we would like to see is some cold drinks inside an air-conditioned refreshment tent!"
Maya pointed at the tent behind her. "Ah, look-ey here!"

Riley gasped and led her best friend away.

Lucas scowled and shrugged his shoulders in anger. " I just think you might react differently when you actually see a man cow!" He muttered to himself, following his friends inside.

"Hey Zay, what are you watching?" Riley asked him, noticing he was fixated on something behind them.
Zay shook his head, looking sorry for something. "Nothin' you wanna see." Zay informed the girls.

Thinking he was talking to Riley only, Maya smiled and turned excitedly, while Riley looked concerned. Lucas had joined his friends at the table, standing behind Zay. The girls watched in interest while the boys prepared to see some beat downs.

"Hey there rodeo fans! Now, for your viewin' pleasure, here are some of last year's greatest hits! Here are some of what we call, love taps!" The announcer spoke with pleasure.

The screen showed people getting thrown from bulls and landing in unfavorable ways. The girl's faces fell in horror as the video continued, and Lucas felt like he was going to throw up. Maya's bad feeling felt concrete. She was not okay with this.

"I don't want you going anywhere near that bull."
"Yeah, that makes two of us." Lucas laughed nervously.
"I want you to take off that stupid outfit and I want to get out of here."
"Maya-" Lucas started, noticing she was scared.
"I saw the bull! I don't think the bull knows that this is supposed to be fun!" Maya exasperated, her hands moving in a spiritic motion.
"Okay, Maya! Let's not shake Lucas's confidence!" Riley turned to him. "You can do this, right? You can just ride the bull for four seconds and win the master of Tombstone award, right?" She asked him, turning back to Maya who didn't give Lucas a chance to speak.
"Lucas is going to need a Tombstone, there isn't going to be anymore Lucas!" Maya spoke, her eyes filled with fear.
"He's going to do great Maya!" Riley turned back to the boys and turned Zay around to face Lucas. "Zay, tell him he's going to do great!"
Zay complied. "You're gonna do great!"
"Truth." Maya snapped at him.
"You're gonna die." Zay relented.

Lucas looked between Zay who was walking away and the girls who were walking closer to him, not knowing what to do.

"I believe you can do this. I believe you can do anything you want too." Riley smiled at Lucas.
"Riley, why do you want him to do this!?" Maya sighed; her chest tight.
"Because this is better than riding Judy the sheep!" Riley turning to Maya, flailing her arms and talking to her like she was stupid for a moment. "And I don't want him to be a disgrace to his community anymore." Riley finished, softening her voice.