Ch14- The first C-rank mission

The third Hokage was currently in his office, staring at his crystal ball.

One of his few hobbies was to observe new shinobi or peek- no, observe the bodi-, security in the female public baths.

Although he loved seeing the progress of talented shinobi, this year was rather disappointing, with barely two teams making it as genin. Though only one of them showed enough talent to reach the Jonin level.

He had decided to finally give Kaguro's team a C-rank mission. If he was honest, he could barely keep Danzo away from the three, as he wanted them to work for ROOT.

The team was overall pretty quiet, an arrogant Hyuuga, an analytic Uzumaki, and another very quiet but talented kunoichi.

They would make excellent ANBU, especially the quiet one, but she would make an excellent ANBU, not ROOT.

***

"Team Kaguro, you will now receive your first C-rank mission. It is an escort mission to the land of tea."

Seeing as they just nodded, he signaled to the ANBU at the door to let the customer in.

"This is Mizuchi, you will be escorting him to the land of tea."

"Nice to meetcha, Kui! Let's get along, Kui!"

"Hello, I'm the leader of this squad, Kaguro. I apologize for my students, but they are rather the quiet bunch."

"No problem, Kui."

"Anyway, you will be leaving tomorrow. Pack your stuff and be sure to be punctual at the gates at 8 am."

Excusing themselves, the team left the Hokage tower and went home. Seeing as none of his students had any plans to do something together, Kaguro could only sight in defeat, hoping their teamwork wouldn't be too bad. Well, his main headache was Semaru Hyuuga since the two Uzumaki siblings were able to understand each other perfectly.

***

This is bad! The mission had been going on like normal with only a few bandits attacking them.

Surprisingly Semaru was the one most affected by killing another human being while Namiko calmed down after her sister hugged her. The most surprising was Namaki, who had shown no reaction at all, which didn't happen very often. Even if she was an Uzumaki, she was still raised by civilians and thus it was a bit strange.

However shortly after they had entered the land of tea, they had been suddenly attacked by a few Jashin worshiper.

They were not after Mizuchi, which meant that they wanted to use his team as sacrifices. Luckily his team was talented enough to take care of a few Chunin and a weak Jonin-level opponent. This made it possible for him to quickly get rid of the remaining shinobi.

The worst thing that happened, however, was that an S-rank criminal suddenly popped out from the side, sacrificing Mizuchi to his God while they had no way to save him as every injury they caused was also given to Mizuchi.

***

Namaki was livid, the attacks she could use were useless against Hidan and she couldn't even save Muzuchi. Her mission had now gotten severely harder as her first mission as a Konoha-nin had turned out to be a failure.

"What a drag...," Kaguro who had definitely been influenced by the Nara, made his way back to Konoha with his team, to report to the Hokage about their failure.

"Don't blame yourself, we are lucky enough to have escaped. This guy is not only strong but also immortal. You have a long way to go before we can take on someone like him."