Prologue

You know I've always dreamed a dream, if that counts. I dreamed that I would marry my knight in shining armor and that he would sweep me off my feet. But that didn't happen though. Well sort of.

I was too carried away with the moment. I was so young and stupid, just plain naive when I did this. You see the thing about my problem is that it wasn't too hard to think about because I love him. I have always loved him. Even when he didn't want to believe in my love.

He had asked me to marry him. Who wouldn't want to say no when the man you love is asking you? You want to know how he proposed? It's a funny and ironic story.

He just turned twenty-four at the time. He had came over to my parents reunion, which involved my family and his. I was wearing a maxi dress that had a slit cut, allowing my right leg to show when I walk. My hair was in a messy bun, leaving majority of my hair in a clump with some strands flowing out.

He wore this casual outfit that didn't make him seem too handsome nor less handsome than he was. He wore a white shirt with khaki shorts, showing off his muscular arms and legs. Oh boy... what he could do with them.

I was running around with cupcakes in my hands, trying to share them with Juba, my baby brother. Juba loved to play and run around so I tagged along. I was running from Juba with the cupcake in my hand, not watching where I was going since I kept checking over my shoulders, I fell backwards. Still, the cupcake was in my hands.

Juba ran over to me and jumped. He reached up high to grab the cupcake. A shadow towered above us both and Juba and I both turned to look. This shadow who was shadowing us was none other than my love, which of course he doesn't know my endearment for him.

He took the cupcake from my hand and gave it to Juba. Juba had ran away so happy looking back at me with a cheeky smile.

"That wasn't fair!" I whined.

"Well boo-hoo, you snooze you lose." he shot back at me smiling.

"Ugh, I'll just go grab another one." I marched off.

Men always think they have control over the women. Pshh please, like I could give a rat's arse about it. I made my way to the snack table already set out and studied the cupcakes until someone grabbed me.

I turned and found him hold my arm.

"Uhm, I have a quesition..." he trailed off.

"I-uh-I... how do I say this?" he rambled off.

I looked at him oddly.

"I know this is odd, and I know this is weird. But would you do the honor of marrying me? I know we haven't dated and I know we haven't talked much, less stay in contact with each other. You are beautiful and poised and I wouldn't have it any other way. You are a tease and you amaze me each time we meet..." he said.

By now everyone was turned towards us, listening deeply. I was holding a breath that I didn't know I was holding. I was looking around past him. My mom and dad looked so happy. His mom looked surprised but still happy. His dad looked serious but had a faint smile.

Finally my eyes zoned back on him. He looked shy and was scratching the back of his head. And you know what I said...

"Yes..."

Like what the hell did I get myself into.