Chapter 8: Of course, love

The girl's eyes flutter open, she looks around confused. She tries to sit up but feels something wrapped around her. She looks over her shoulder to see a very beat up Mike Wheeler. Memories of the previous night rush back to her. Mike coming to her door, bloody, bruised, cold, and soaked. Him telling her one of his biggest secrets. Her kissing him, not only on his lips but all over his face.

A soft smile and blush rise to her face. She carefully unhooks her body from his arms. He stirred. She tiptoes to the bathroom and makes it back before he wakes up. She sits on the couch and he jolts awake, panting and close to tears.

"Mike? Are you okay?", The girl asks concerned.

"J-jane?", He asks.

"Yeah, it's me. Are you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, uh, just a bad dream."

The girl moves over to embrace the boy. Her head lays on his shoulder. They stay like that for a few seconds and pull away.

"Want breakfast?", She asks. He nods.

They get up and go into the kitchen. The girl pops a few Eggos in the toaster, while the boy grabs plates.

"Mike?", The girl asks, placing her plate on the table.

"Yeah?", He asks softly.

"You told me something yesterday, something private, so I think I should tell you something too."

"Jane, you really don't have to-"

"No, Mike. I want to.", She interrupts.

"Okay. I'm ready when you are, I guess."

She takes a deep breath.

"The reason I'm here is, uh, m-my m-mom, my mom has stage 4 brain cancer.", The girl stutters.

"My mom and my aunt didn't want me to have to watch her die. They also wanted me to get to know my dad, since it wasn't fair that my mom never told him that I even existed.", She continued.

"Jane, I'm so sorry.", He says, sympathetic.

"It is what it is, it sucks but, at least now I have friends and I have my dad and Joyce and Will and Jonathan, and I have you, whatever we are.", She says throwing the last bit in, hinting.

The boy takes her cue and leans his face in near hers and connects their lips, still careful of his busted lip. She smiles into the kiss, warmth filling her body, her heart jumps. The toaster goes off and they pop away from eachother and the girl giggles. The boy stands up and grabs her plate, he puts two Eggos on it.

He walks back over to the girl, a goofy smile on his face. He gets down on one knee, holds out the plate of Eggos and asks,

"Jane, will you be my girlfriend?"

The girl giggles, taking the plate, and pressing a kiss on his lips.

"Of course, love.", She says as she pulls away.

The two teenagers grin giddily and eat their breakfast. They spend the rest of the day sharing sweet kisses and watching movies and cuddling.