Server Hopping

Have you ever wondered what happens to all characters or data when a Ragnarok Online server shuts down or is deleted? Of course, those who have played since the dawn of the game would know the answer. It goes back to the rule of "data." The typical knowledge of "data" can have many meanings and many ways it can be destroyed. So what happens to "data" most of the time?

Well, metaphorically speaking, I can safely tell you that it is in "a dark lonely corner."

Ragnarok Online has always been a classic to me-a game I would come back to just relive memories and see how much has evolved overall. Just like a plant, the care given is the care that makes it grow. Sure many players would say that it is a "dying game" or "a lost cause" due to lack of updates, but to me, it is still a treasure.

I was a huge Steam player. When Ragnarok Online came onto Steam, I was excited. I could share this game with everyone on my friend's list and tell them about how much fun they could have. Of course, the result was either not playing, or just playing for a short while. I couldn't blame them-as the server just...didn't have the charm.

The server was turned into an "easy mode" MMORPG just like today's one. The Eden Group, the board quests for leveling, the free equipment...it didn't feel like an accomplishment anymore. The cash shop didn't make the game more promising either-with many powerful healing items for sale and refine tools.

The longer I played, the less inspired I got. Everyone was ahead, everyone was max level, everyone was on their final class, and everyone just had their slave priests, dancers...you name it.

So with that, the game has been put on my "shelf" of games...for now. I had better things to do and better games to play than play this...linear path of an MMORPG.

Months later, I heard an announcement from the game. They were creating a new server for the game and they labeled it as "Ragnarok: Re:Start." Reading through the notes, I was stoked. It was just like the traditional Ragnarok Online! The old Morroc, the traditional job change quests, and the most important on my list: No Eden Group.

Once the server launched, I spammed the login in order to get in as soon as possible and create my character. It was a purple long-haired female named Milecia. Yes, it seemed silly, as I always create the same character over and over on many different servers and start over-after decades. It was a tradition to me, and it was the same process: the goal of being a support priest.

So it was the same classic process-spawn on an island, walk across the bridge, and go in the castle to gain some novice equips. After finally heading outside, I walked to the other side of the map and entered the quiz room. I was so excited to finally just get in the game with other players who were looking forward to this! I knew the quiz from heart, as I took it many times to become an acolyte.

Finding a party was always a challenge for me in Ragnarok Online servers. Either the exp rate was high enough, everyone else had their slave acolyte or priest, or it was just a language barrier. So as usual when I start new, I head to the Payon Cave's first floor, and pray I don't come across any Familiars (thank goodness for free Flywings). After healing undead, I was leveling up steadily. It was long and tedious but I finally gained enough levels to melee Spores easily and quickly in east of Payon. I figured I could gain some Strawberries so I could quickly level up more and go deeper in the Payon Cave. Everyone was minding their own business and killing Spores and other monsters around, just like me.

It was tedious and repetitive, but I had plenty of strawberries to move on. Before I left, a female acolyte asked for buffs. Now, this was unexpected. I always thought the first rule of thumb of being an acolyte-whether going offensive or support-was to level up Increase AGI and Blessing to the max. She thanked me and asked me if I was in a party. Of course, I was on my own, but I could use the company. We then headed out to a stronger map.