The Body (Part 3)

*(Y/n)'s POV*

"At times like these, it is important that we come together as a community." we heard the principal say, and Dustin threw the gym doors wide open. "We come-"

The six of us entered the gym and everyone's heads swiveled towards us. "Abort..." Dustin sucked in his chest and whispered. He started to turn around, but me and Lucas stopped him and turned him back.

The principal continued with his speech and we all walked to the bleachers with Eleven. Mr. Clarke walked over to the staff. "We come together to heal." the principal continued with his speech. "We come together to grieve. Will Byer's death is an unimaginable tragedy."

We sat with the rest of the kids on the bleachers. While we were supposed to act sad, I don't think any of us were pretending. The five of us were fidgety, wanting to be in the AV room so we could have Eleven test out the Heathkit herself.

"Will was an exceptional student, and a wonderful friend to all of us."

I was looking around to see that students were actually paying attention. It actually made me ticked off. 

"It's impossible to express the hole his loss will leave in our community. I'd like to introduce you to Sandy Shore. She's a local grief counselor from the church over in Jonesboro. But before she comes up here, I just want those of you who are having trouble dealing with this tragic loss-"

"Look at these fakers." Mike whispered.

"They probably didn't even know his name until today." I also whispered back.

I turned my head with Lucas, who sat next to me to see Troy and James snickering together. "What?" James giggled with his friend. He elbowed him to get him to tell him what was funny.

I rolled my eyes.

"Who is interested in this?" Troy asked James. "This is so stupid."

I felt Mike lean over my shoulder to also see Troy and James and he shook his head. I started to feel angry as I watched Troy make a face. "Blahblahblahblahblah..."

James couldn't control himself.

"Oh, he was such a good student..." Troy imitated. "Oh, he's going to leave a hole in the community."

I clenched my hands into fists on my knees, and I felt someone place their hand over mine. I looked down to see it was Mike's. Making fun of death was not funny.

Eleven and Dustin finally turned to see what was going on as well. "Mouth-breather..." Eleven muttered and we looked at her.

I unclenched my hand and let Mike intertwine his fingers with mine. "It's okay, (Y/n)." He whispered. "Calm down."

"No, it's not okay..." I whispered, with a tear rolling down my face. It was hard with Will being gone. Our group was empty without him. "What they're doing is just sad."

After a while, the assembly concluded and the bell rang.

Mike and I switched hands and we all walked off the bleachers together with the student body. "Hey." Mike called out to Troy and James. He knew I was upset, and he hated seeing me hurt. "Hey! Hey, Troy! Hey, Troy!" They both turned around, finding this really funny that Mike wanted to call them out. "You...you think this is funny?"

Troy looked at us, and glared at Mike. "What did you say, Wheeler?"

Everyone stopped to turn look at all of us.

"You heard him." I spoke up as well, standing next to Mike. I was ready to talk to them. "We saw you guys laughing over there. And I think that's a messed up thing to do." My brother had stopped me from getting involved, but I shook my head this time.