Prologue

Emberlight felt the cold stone under her haunches as she sat alone beside the Moonpool. She had set out to confide in StarClan of the great uneasiness that had overwhelmed her ever since Crowstar, the former WillowClan leader, had died. Suddenly, the small pool of water beside her glowed in the bright moonlight that she had been waiting for. The time has come, she thought. She lied down, relief flooding over her as her nose touched the cool, gently lapping water.

Her amber eyes still closed, she parted her jaws to drink in the lavish scent of StarClan. Instead, she inhaled smoke. Nearly choking, she opened her eyes. StarClan is on fire! She started to run, but then she stopped. It was raining. Brilliant streaks of lightning shot down from the sky. With her thick tortoiseshell pelt already weighed down with water, she desperately looked for shelter.

Panting wildly, she ducked under a rocky outcrop and began to smooth her wet fur. She felt something drip onto her from above, and for a moment she thought the rain was leaking through somehow. Then, another drop fell onto the stone floor in front of her paws. As she bent down to study it, dazzling lightning split the sky, lighting up the scarlet pool directly in front of her nose. Her spine tingled. The whole rock was covered in blood!

Once again she bolted into the rain, and again she stopped. She began to realize for the first time that blood had pooled everywhere which the rain did not pour and the flames did not glow.

"Beware, little one," she heard a voice say. "The time of glowing flames and blazing skies are upon us."