7. Rules

After Michael left, I took my time enjoying my coffee before going about trying to decide how I was going to go about getting my items without any money.

I could've returned to the castle empty handed, but I didn't want to prove Demetri right. To hell with that. I went out to pick up a few things, and, by god, I was going to do it.

During my walk around the town, I'd passed multiple convenience stores; all I had to do was take my pick.

I didn't usually concern myself with the moral dilemma that came with shoplifting; I was immortal. Why should I care?

So, I backtracked a little and entered the first store I came across. It was small, and neatly stocked wall to wall with a large assortment of goods. They wouldn't miss a measly pack of cigarettes.

My sneakers squeaked on the scuffed up tiled floor as I casually peruse the shelves. I kept my face relatively neutral as I assessed the stock and decided what I wanted to swipe.

The lighter was easy enough. They were tucked in an aisle close to the entrance, neatly stacked between the batteries and the travel size Tylenol. I didn't have any pockets on me, so I picked up a lighter and continued to circle the interior of the store as if I were a legitimate shopper.

The cigarettes, on the other hand, would be a little trickier. They were stored on a shelf behind the checkout counter. I would have to find a way to convince the employee, a lanky kid in his late teens, to either leave the cash register, or preferably, out of sight altogether.

"Excuse me," I said, hoping the employee understood English as I approached the counter. "Do you know where I can find some batteries?"

"Yes," he said, pointing in the direction I'd come, "They're over there."

"What?" I asked, playing dumb.

"Over there," he repeated.

We went back and forth for a moment before he gave up and left the counter to go get them for me, just as I'd hoped, and as soon as his back was turned, I slipped behind the counter and swiped a pack of cigarettes - easy as pie.

Unfortunately, when I glanced up at the ceiling, I spotted a security camera pointed right at me.

I hissed a profanity under my breath and quickly looked around to see where the source was. Sure enough, there were two doors at the other end of the counter, one that led outside, and one that led to a tiny, cluttered office.

I let myself into the office, pushing the thick wooden door closed behind me, and bee lined over to the small TV that was stacked haphazardly on a VHS player. The TV screen displayed the store from the perspective of the security camera that had just caught me stealing - live footage - so I figured that if the camera was recording, it would be on a tape in the VHS player.

I jammed on the eject button on it, and the VHS player spat out a tape. I threw on the floor and stomped on it, shattering the black plastic into a million pieces, before sneaking out of the office and slipping out of the back door.

With the evidence taken care of, I made my way through the well worn alleyways. Giddiness bubbled in my stomach from the thrill of the steal as I moved quickly, weaving through the alleys as I made my way to Volterra Castle, back to safety.

When I returned to the castle grounds, I loitered a few yards from the front door and shook out a cigarette from the pack. I'd begun to fiddle with the lighter when Felix, Demetri, and another large guard, a man with strong features and thick cornrows that were tucked neatly into a hair tie, stepped out into the shaded walkway and approached me.

"Can I help you?" I asked, aloof, without bothering to look up from my lighter. Finally, I caught a flame.

"Aro has requested your presence," Felix informed me with a mocking grin.

I let out a long sigh. "Of course he has."

The men stared at me expectantly.

"Well? Lead the way," I prodded.

The walk to where the kings, Aro, Marcus, and Caius, were was short, and the three guards lingered in the room after we entered a large, round chamber with marble floors light stone walls.

"Ah! Lucy!" Aro greeted me with enthusiasm. He and his brothers had been sifting through piles of books on a long, wooden table when I entered. "You've returned!"

"That was the plan," I said, lighting a cigarette.

"Put that foul thing out," Caius barked at me.

I blinked at him slowly and took another drag. "What do you want?" I asked, returning my attention to Aro.

"You left the castle unattended," he replied. "We were worried."

I had a hunch that Aro was the only one concerned, but I let it slide.

"Is that a problem?" I asked.

"Well, Lucy," Aro began in an aggressively positive tone, "you're a royal now, and it isn't safe for you to meander around unaccompanied."

"Are you kidding?" I asked, glancing at the guards. "You're telling me I need bodyguards now? I thought being in the coven would be enough to keep people away from me."

"Well, yes, being in the Volturi is a great deterrent," Aro explained, "but there's no such thing as being too cautious. Unfortunately, not everyone agrees with our rule and would take any opportunity to lash out against our family."

I ran my hand through my hair impatiently.

"We all travel with guards," Aro insisted, gesturing toward his brothers. "Our wives, as well. This protocol isn't unusual."

As much as I didn't want to be followed around by a bodyguard, I couldn't deny that Aro was right. I would be much more comfortable with someone else fighting my battles for me, should the opportunity arise. Plus, having someone stronger around could provide me with a little more peace of mind, if I was really trying to be optimistic about it.

"Okay," I conceded.

"I do have a few rules for you, as well," Aro added.

I shot him a pointed look, but didn't interrupt.

"Traveling within the city walls is safe because we keep things tightly monitored, but I don't want you leaving the city without an escort."

"Okay," I said, trying to be a good sport.

"And you may go with approved guards only," he added.

"Christ, Aro, really?" I complained. He was being a controlling freak. "Do you want me to sign over my soul to you while I'm at it?"

"I assure you, I'm only considering what is best for you," Aro said without missing a beat, completely glossing over my back sass.

"Well, can I at least have some money?" I asked. "And some new clothes? I don't like anything in my closet. All of my stuff is still in Texas."

"Of course. We'll get you a credit card right away."

"Without a spending limit?" I asked.

"Whatever you desire, piccola principessa," Aro said with an encouraging smile, "The world is yours."