Chapter 20 | Progress

Two weeks

Two weeks.

It's taking me two weeks to plan out a date.

A simple date.

Although my date couldn't compete with Matthew's I wanted something laid back. Over the days we've been texting Matthew has been up and early at dawn heading to his job. Each day there were no moments that he wasn't busy with work. I wanted something that would help him relax and feel better. That's why I'm getting help from a seven-year-old who knows the most fun thing to do. When I told her that it was my turn to plan the date she was excited but nothing has sparked interest.

This is a complete disaster.

"You can take him to a picnic or a painting class. Like the ones where they have a nude model in front of them," Bailey suggests as I inject her with a dose of her daily medication.

"How do you know about that?" I asked with a concerned look on my face, "Do you need restrictions on your television?" joking around she jolts up waving her hands.

Begging, "No please don't. I won't be able to survive this place anymore," she pleads. Smiling knowing I will never do that to her, ever. "My dad told me that there's this special place where people go and draw for fun in Paris. The city of love and art, I've always wanted to go there when I'm older but now that seems more of a dream than happening."

It pained me that Bailey had no hopes for her living her life in the future. Part of me wants to remove that mentality away from her.

After my date with Matthew, Bailey kept bomb boarding me with questions nonstop about Matthew. Questions like, "How tall is he? Does he have a younger brother? Or can he buy me something since he has to be approved by me," we laughed as I told her everything. My period only lasted four days which was good bringing back from my wave and feeling myself.

She wrote down, note to self: don't go on a date on your period.

I've been having late night shifts and sometimes the both of us would stay up at night talking. There were nights that I would sleep with her or be there reading to her helping her sleep. Bailey hasn't been sleeping well which is something that has my attention. I've kept a close eye on her trying to discover her trouble falling asleep.

One night I caught her sitting near the window looking over the view. She was lost in her own world. Nothing was going on but her thoughts in her mind and I knew exactly what she was thinking, "what if this doesn't work?" What could I possibly tell a seven-year-old that she may or may not know already?

"Okay that does sound like a good idea but sitting and drawing someone nude with the person you like," I arch my brows, "Not a good idea for me. Probably for friends but not for a date." I hand her the tray of food. My feelings towards Matthew may have seemed a bit fast forward after my breakup but there was something there that couldn't be denied.