Oneshot

He stares at the sand, stretching on forever, and then he stares at the sun, hissing involuntarily as it burns into him, he bites the inside of his cheek and downs another fire resistance potion.

Sometimes he wonders if there were more like him, more... people, yeah that was the word, he often gets dreams, of people staring down at him with hatred, they looked like him, and yet they didn't bear the teeth and the red in his eyes.

He wonders if these are truly dreams, or maybe they're... memories, he faintly remembers the word that is every dream, "Mumbo Jumbo" he claims this as a title, sad that no one is there to use it.

He thinks of others, wonders if there really are others, wonders if he is alone, forever. He closes his eyes and thinks, slips back into the memories, if they really were that, he remembers going to something the dream people referred to as school, all he remembers is the redstone, the mechanics.

Mumbo opens his eyes, right, he still needs to finish his redstone, he often wonders why he still thinks of those dreams, if people were real surely they would come looking for him? But if they were anything like the people in his dream, staring at him in fear and threatening to cut off his fangs, maybe he didn't want to meet them.

His gaze wanders back to the sun, the red sun, in a never ending desert, he laughs, those memories are fake though. All Mumbo knows is this, placing redstone forever, turning farms on and off, ignoring any block that wasn't in the redstone category, can't forget the iron though, that was the only building block he used.

His fingers come up to his mouth and pricks itself on his fangs, he sometimes wonders what he is, perhaps a nighttime creature, as he thoroughly hates the sun. Only standing in the day because he has to- he has to do something.

'Redstone is so simple' he thinks, 'It never changes, no unexpected surprises, except maybe the lag... but, other than that-' he stops his rambles, he really should get a start on this next redstone machine, no time for procrastinating.

Sometimes he wonders if there are other people like him. He doesn't know the answer.

— *.* —

He sometimes wonders why he doesn't work at night, there were no downsides. Plus, he felt more motivated in the night, leaping around with energy that only he could have.

Maybe it's the sudden calling for blood that shuts him down at night.

He remembers the first time he had the taste of blood in his mouth, he had spawned in a chicken for his farm, and it accidentally died, blood pooled onto his machine and suddenly the blood was replaced, and instead inside his mouth.

He had a dream that night, of killing another person for their blood.

He stopped drinking blood after that.

He wonders why he doesn't work at night, but his brain already knows the answer.

— *.* —

Mumbo sometimes wonders why he glares at the sun, and why he burns under its gaze, perhaps it had to do with the fangs, but certainly that's not right, right?

One day he sits atop a cactus, staring at the sun, glaring, loathing at it, and he wonders why, why does he hate it so much?

But if he hates it then surely the other people out there would hate it as well, right?

As he downs another fire resistance potion, he suppresses the instincts that come with being whatever he is, and ignores the answer lying under his skin.