Chapter One

The stars were rife with change, Firenze saw.

Something of great note was coming, a powerful storm brewing worlds away. Some strange thing, both familiar to the flow of magic and distant to those that now practiced it. The centaurs could not say what it was, though the knowledge tickled at the back of their minds, tantalizingly out of reach. But what they did know was that once it arrived, the path of the Wizarding World would be forever changed.

Alongside him, his brothers muttered amongst themselves as they tried to decipher the new futures written in the stars. Alone together, the anxiety and worry was clear and transparent on all of their faces. Hands were wrapped tight around bows, hooves stomping on the dirt with every fervent whisper.

Enraptured as they were by the abrupt shift in the sky and the rough charts they'd scratched into the earth, none of them paid any notice to the phoenix swooping low over the forest's crown - none but Firenze.

He gave it a moment's thought, wondering where it was headed. He dismissed it quickly; Dumbledore's business was his own, no matter how interesting it was.

Though Firenze had a feeling whatever message Fawkes carried was intricately linked to this novel situation. Or, perhaps even the root of it all.

Warm red and soft gold and stingingly bright yellow silhouetted starkly against the blinking canvas of night, the soft and distant sound of sizzling flame, the sinking sensation within his gut and the apprehension twisting his throat into a thick knot - as Chiron stood alone on the patio of the Big House on a quiet autumn night, these were the things he noticed. But it was no sudden realization, not at all. A weary understanding trickled into him, quiet and soft, as if it did not want to be noticed and acted upon.

The age-old centaur sighed, a tightness creeping onto his face as he stared up at the starry sky. A flame flickered far above, outshining any constellation. For some indiscernible reason, Chiron doubted the next few minutes would prove to be anything other than harrowing and stressful.

The crimson figure twitched in the air, suddenly diving towards him with powerful purpose. Chiron sighed again, watching the falling star grow larger and larger. Softly shutting his eyes for a long moment, he wondered if he should even bother reading the message. Of course, he already knew what the letter would contain. A request for help, and a reminder of what Chiron owed. Albus was sly, no question there. Chiron wouldn't be able to deny it.

Surely his children deserved some more time to rest, to heal? He should not even consider this, should not even entertain the idea of allowing them to venture so far into the dark.

Still, he raised his arm to the sky. He had to, after all. Chiron was not one to break a promise, not to a friend as old as he. But even as he raised his arm to the open air and forced his weary eyes to open, he silently cursed his old friend.

The coolness of the air tickled his bare skin, but the calming sensation quickly turned to uncomfortable heat as sharp talons dug into his flesh. Brilliant plumage, live flames running down the edge of every feather, crimson eyes alight with intelligence and mischief - there was no doubt as to whose messenger this was.

Chiron pulled his arm closer to his chest, noting the thick letter tied around the little beast's neck. "Hello, Fawkes," he murmured, his other hand rising to scratch the majestic phoenix below its beak. "It's nice to meet you again. Looking as gorgeous as ever, I see."

Fawkes squawked happily, preening for the centaur. Chiron chuckled, the noise tinged with something quiet and worried as he gripped the singed envelope in two fingers. He quickly tore it off the cord, his actions saying more about his concern than his calm and quiet words did. "Brought me a letter, hm?"