Chapter 2 - Turning Bad before it Gets Better

"Today is probably the happiest day of my life." Isabella thought as Axl walked beside her on her way home.

Earlier, when the class ended:

"You done? Let's go." To the surprise of their classmates, Axl bypassingly told her to go with him.

"Hey yo, you guys dating or something?" Carl, one of Axl's friends tried to stir up a controversy.

"Shut up. I'll call you later about the project. I have something to do." Axl dismissed him and walked off.

Isabella followed few steps behind Axl while walking towards the gate. She doesn't know what his plan is. He haven't said a word since they walked out the classroom earlier.

Suddenly Axl stopped.

"Wanna grab a bite? There's a good pasta place just around the corner."

"Yeah sure."

"You can walk beside me. I won't bite."

Isabella smiled and walked beside Axl.

Axl doesn't speak too much. He just asked few questions here and there. He however mentioned few things he would like to do when they are together.

Over the next few weeks it became the norm for them to walk home together. Sometimes they grab a bite if he fancies eating with her. He would occassionally put snacks in her table without saying a word. He will hold her hand if they are passing through the park and not many people are around.

One thing though he never mentioned liking her again. He is also not calling her unlike what other lovers do. Isabella wonders about that but never dared to ask.

Their classmates never pestered them again about their relationship since it was never defined that they were.

But one rumor started going around few days before the 3rd grading exam week starts.

Michelle Liv from another section was said to be Axl's new girlfriend. He also started skipping going home with her.

One afternoon when they were going home, Isabella asked Axl about it.

"Ahmm I heard some rumors about Michelle from section B."

"What about it?"

"They said you were dating."

"I just asked help from her since she had a good grasp of Chemistry periodic table and masses and computations are giving me a headache."

"But you can ask me about it you know..."

"Regardless, I want to ask from her. Are you looking for a fight or something? We can just go home. I'll walk with you."

"N-no. I'm sorry. Okay let's go home if you don't feel like eating."

Axl just went off after walking with her home. He didn't say anything. Isabella went straight to her room while wondering what happened.

Did I do something wrong? Am I not allowed to ask? Is this what it means when the relationship has no label?

Over the few days they got busy with the exams. Isabella told Axl she will be staying at the library after classes to review.

She is focused on studying. But at the back of her mind, she is actually trying to bury her anxiety in the sea of books. She's afraid something bad is going to happen.

  She's afraid something bad is going to happen