Chapter 20

"Moving on to the dinner service. Her Lunar Majesty did approve the traditional eight-course feast following the ceremony since last we spoke. For that, I suggest we begin with a quartet of sashimi, followed by a light soup. Perhaps imitation shark's fin soup, which I think would strike a nice balance between old traditions and modern sensibilities." The wedding planner paused. When neither Kai, who was laid out on his office's sofa with one arm draped across his eyes, nor his chief adviser, Konn Torin, offered any objections, she cleared her throat and continued, "For our third course, I thought a nice braised pork belly with green mango relish. That would then lead into our vegetarian entrée, for which I recommended potol with poppy seeds on a bed of banana leaves. For the fifth course I was going to talk to the caterers about some sort of shellfish curry, maybe with a vibrant coconut-lime sauce. Does Your Majesty have any preference on lobster, prawns, or scallops?"

Kai peeled his arm off his face, just enough to peer at the wedding coordinator through his fingers. Tashmi Priya must have been well into her forties, and yet she had the sort of skin that hadn't aged a day past twenty-nine. Her hair, on the other hand, was making a slow transition into gray, and he thought it might have accelerated over the past week, as she was the one person in charge of communicating the bride's wishes to the rest of the wedding coordinators. He didn't for a moment underestimate the stress she was under to be working with Queen Levana.

Luckily, it seemed to him that she was very, very good at her job. She'd accepted the role of planning the royal wedding without a moment's hesitation, and hadn't balked once at Levana's demands. Her professional perfectionism was evident in every decision she made, even in how she presented herself, with deceptively subtle makeup and not a hair astray. This simplicity was set against a wardrobe of traditional Indian saris, lush silk shot through with jewel tones and complicated embroidery. The combination gave Priya a regal air that Kai knew, at that moment, he was lacking.

"Scallops, lobster...," he murmured, struggling to pay attention. Giving up, he covered his eyes again. "No, I have no preference. Whatever Levana wants."

A brief silence before he heard the click of fingernails against her portscreen. "Perhaps we'll come back to the feast menu later. As for the ceremony, do you approve of the queen's choice of Africa's Prime Minister Kamin as your officiant?"

"I can think of no one more suitable."

"Excellent. And have you given any thought to your wedding vows?"

Kai snorted. "Delete anything that has to do with love, respect, or joy, and I'll sign on the dotted line."

"Your Majesty," said Torin, in that way he had of making the title of respect sound like a chastisement.

Sighing, Kai sat up. Torin was in the seat opposite Priya, his hand wrapped around a short glass filled with nothing but ice cubes. He was not normally one to imbibe, which reminded Kai that these were trying times for everyone.

He slid his attention back to Priya, whose expression was professionally impassive. "What do you suggest, for the vows?"

Her eyelids crinkled at the corners, almost apologetically, and he detected something horrible about to come his way. "Her Lunar Majesty has suggested that you write your own vows, Your Majesty."

"Oh, stars." He fell back down into the cushions. "Please, anything but that."

A hesitation. "Would you like me to write them for you, Your Majesty?"

"Is that in your job description?"

"Ensuring that this wedding goes smoothly is my job description."

He peered up at the ornate tasseled chandeliers that lined the ceiling. After a complete sweep of the office that had taken his security team a week to complete, they had found a single recording device, smaller than his fingernail, embedded in one of those chandeliers. It was the only device they had found. There was no question that it was Lunar, and that Kai had been right all along—Levana was spying on him.