Chapter 2 : Ville

It was around 2 pm when the young man opened his eyes in the small bedroom of his messy Helsinki apartment. He stayed in his bed, starring at the ceiling in the dark for long minutes. Back to reality: some noise in the living room brought him back. She was still here, in spite of their violent fight last night, so much that the neighbors would remember it for a while. Ville pushed back the covers and looked around the mess on the floor to find some clothes. He opened the door just to see that she was searching around the living room.

- Looking for something ?

- Phone.

- On the sofa.

Her voice was so cold he'd rather head to the kitchen for a coffee.

Yesterday's fight came back to his mind. Band practice went on till late in the night, and it would have been fine if Ville had not been back home drunk. He woke Ela up and didn't bother to be sorry either. That was how things were now when he wasn't on tour: he would leave without telling her where he was, and return late, drunk or not, without a word. Frankly, all he wanted was to be alone, have his apartment all for himself and no one to talk to. He was spending way too much time trapped in a moving box called "tour bus" with too many people who always wanted to talk to him that he wasn't in the mood to be social when he was home. But Ela didn't understand that, and all she could do was complain that he didn't spend time with her anymore.

In spite of it all, he knew he still cared about her. But was it enough?

The opening door startled him.

- Ville, said a shy voice. I... I am sorry, about yesterday. 

Ville had to make tremendous efforts to understand Ela through his headache. A heavy silence fell upon the room as he stood up to put his cup on the sink. Leaning against it, Ville turned around to look at her. She was a simple but pleasant brunette, with a thin frame, deep brown eyes and luxurious hair. Sometime he thought she was too discrete for him. But he would always forgive her. Ville took his girlfriend in his arms, stroking her hair.

- It's all right, it's all forgotten. Though I'll ...

She didn't mind him going out late if that was for band practice, she understood he had to go. But when he was home, he had to be hers and hers only.

Hearing herself utter these words almost made her believe in them, believe that they would be true, that Ville would keep this silent promise since he was nodding along. He kissed her forehead before locking himself up in the bathroom.

They left the apartment together and their roads parted in front of their building.

This was a nice August afternoon. Ville took off his vest and walked down these streets he knew so well, checking his hair or his eyeliner on shop windows on the way. It didn't take long to reach his manager's office. He had called Ville the evening before but had not specified the reason.

- Ville, I had lost any hope of seeing you today. How are things?

- My sleep's completely screwed because of the tour but it could be worse. We're working on songs faster than I'd thought.

Ville's eyes got caught by what seemed like two pieces of cardboard on Johan's desk, too colourful amidst the paper work.

The elder man followed his gaze and smiled.

- That's for you. Two backstage passes for the concert tonight at Tavastia.

- Thanks, like I need these to get into the club... he laughed.

- You don't know who's playing tonight, don't you ?

Ville didn't know, and he didn't exactly had time to go to concerts when he was in town. His blank expression amused Johan.

- Well, a copy of  your album ended up in the possession of the singer of this band. I really don't know how it did but turns out that Kim Lowell loved it so she sent these passes. Fleet's first European tour date is tonight at Tavastia.

Ville sat down on Johan's chair to consider this announce. He had met a lot of his favorite rockstars before, but all of them were men, so he was more inclined to make a few dirty jokes or get drunk together to break the ice. 

With only one album, he had loved Fleet and he wasn't the only one, they were a major act on the industrial rock scene. Tonight he would not meet another rockstar, but a woman with the world at her feet, one of these strong girls who managed to make a name with her fiery personality and strength.

This was everything Kim looked like to the public, and to Ville.