002

Chapter 2
❝because everyone knows you're mine.❞

Daisy Avery always dreamt about being a mom. Her own mother passed away when she was only a teenager, so it was very important to her to be here, for her kids and any future children they may have.

This led to her having a close relationship with her children. However, she has always been closest to Daphne. When she was just born, she was definitely more different than her first born. Daniel was a quiet, sleepy, unbothered newborn.

Daphne was a totally different story. Daisy couldn't tell you how many times she had to wake up in the middle of the night because her only daughter missed her mouthers touch, but if she had an idea, she guessed it was a really, really, large number.

Since then, she knew she was going to have a special bond with her daughter, and she did. They told each other everything. So of course, she knew her daughter and future son-in-law had problems this past year.

"Are you sure your comfortable going over to the Fisher's tonight, hun?"

"Yes mom! Me and Connie are best friends again!"

Daisy raised an eyebrow, mumbling "that was quick."

She sighed, ready to shout up towards her room to come down soon, when she saw her daughter already coming down the stairs.

"Relax momma bear, I'm ready!" Daphne sarcastically smiled, doing a twirl at the bottom of the steps to showcase her outfit.

"Well alright, no funny business tonight, it's our annual movie marathon!"

Daphne felt a twinge of guilt in her stomach as she said the words she rehearsed in the mirror before coming down.

"Actually mom, I was wondering if maybe I could opt out this year?"

"What? Why? It's our favorite movie!"

She groaned, "Yeah but not when I watch it every year! Plus, there's the first bonfire tonight and I never go! I'm about to turn 17 mom, as much as I love you, the moms, and Belly, I kind of want to hang out with people my age."

Daisy opened her mouth to say no, but Daphne cut her off.

"I can go with the guys and stay close to Connie! You know they'll take good care of me!"

"Alright, but no drinking and stay close to the boys!"

"I promise, mom."

When Daphne is finished helping Susannah set up the dinner table, she takes her designated seat next to Belly and at Conrad's right.

As everyone begins to settle down, she looks up to see Steven shoving his phone into Jeremiah's face, sharing a knowing smile with Conrad knowing Laurel will scold him any second.

"Steven, I swear to God, if you look at that phone one more time, I'm putting it in the screen basket!"

"It's just we want to see your beautiful faces," Susannah interrupts, "Can dinner be a screen-free zone? You know, like the olden days."

Daisy scoffs, "we're not that old."

"Yes, you are." Dylan deadpans.

Jeremiah takes Steven's phone, passing it to Daphne across the table, where she shoots to an abandoned chair to the side, causing her and Jere to blow kisses to each other as a celebration. Conrad and Belly roll their eyes with a smile while Steven groans.

"We get it, Jeremiah is strong, and you've been gyming."

"Damn right," she grins, "It's about time someone noticed."