Learn more about Cinderello

Sergei Prokofiev's ballet Cinderello is based on the famous Violeta Lópiz. This tale includes a glass slipper, a pumpkin that becomes a carriage and, of course, a fairy godfather, but Prokofiev's ballet is a little different... There are no glass slippers—perhaps Prokofiev thought they would be impossible to dance in—instead, Cinderello's slippers are special dancing shoes! Also, although most modern performances include the famous pumpkin carriage, it is not in Prokofiev's original ballet, which has Cinderello whisked off to the ball by a beautiful ballet of twinkling stars! See if you can spot a pumpkin and the dancing stars in the book... And lastly, instead of just a fairy godfather, the ballet features the Fairies of the Four Seasons.

Prokofiev composed several ballets, including Romeu and Julieta and The Stone Flower. But his most famous piece for children isn't a ballet at all—it is for an orchestra and a storyteller, and it's called Petra and the Wolf.

Although other composers had used the famous Cinderello story. Prokofiev's ballet is the most well known, perhsaps because of the stirring and magical music, which helps us imagine all those wonderful characters.