Three

As I arrived at the restaurant across town, my irritation started to seep back into my consciousness at the thought of this dinner with my sister.

Sofia was engaged to Max, a bastard who was using her for our family's money but she won't listen. I bet he's gonna be here today and I swear to God if he flirts with me one more time, I will throw hands.

Stepping into the pristine restaurant, I glanced around and saw immaculate tables with center pieces and set plates, wine glasses galore and formally dressed patrons awaiting their orders.

Upon asking for Sofia's reservation, a dark haired familiar man looked up and I gasped after realizing it was the tantalizing green eyes of Mr. Alexander.

He was sitting at a table for two all by himself. The only time our eye contact was broken was when the server beckoned me over to the table for three. Sofia and Max were nowhere to be found, if you allowed them, they'd be late for their own funerals.

I hated thinking about funerals, each time I did, I would remember the beautiful blues of my love. I would remember how he held me, how he'd kiss me in the rain whenever it fell. I would miss his scent, his warm embrace, his voice and most of all his love. Corbin's funeral was the hardest day of my life. Hell, I almost jumped in the ground with him.

As I skipped through the menu, looking at wines to cure my depression, I smelt the most heavenly cologne one could smell, soon after I felt a presence behind me.

"What do you want Mr. Alexander?"

"A minute of your time, please Ms. Veratti." A deep and velvet voice replied.

"I don't talk business during leisure time," I curtly dismissed him.

"I see," he tsked. "However, I was sitting over there alone and you're sitting here alone, would you like to come have dinner with me Isabel?"

"What makes you think I'm alone?"

"You're a stubborn one, aren't you?" He laughed and I swear it was so intoxicating, I held my breath wanting or hoping to hear it again.

"I am, but pray-tell... how do you know my name?" I asked him curiosity shining in my eyes.

"I would tell you if you had dinner with me," he replied.

I quickly glanced down at my phone to see I received a message from Sofia informing me she couldn't make it. I cursed under my breath because I knew she'd do this. What an irresponsible, spoiled brat.

"Yeah, okay." I told the familiar stranger as he assisted me to get up, holding my hand.

As he led me to his table, he did not let go of my hand, which was weird considering his cold demeanor. He pulled out my chair and ushered me to sit down, at least he's a gentleman.

He sat across from me just staring into my eyes, which was weird. He cleared his throat and glanced down at his menu. And I proceeded to do the same, but the silence was consuming and awkward, considering the way we met this morning.

As I gazed down on the menu, I decided to order shrimp pasta with some Chianti. I pursed my lips and continued looking at the menu, not wanting to start talking.

I peeked up at him and saw him waving down a server. She walked up to us with a too fake smile, however, when she saw him... the fakeness in her appearance disappeared and a flirty smile overtook her face.

"Hi, I'm Constance and I will be your server tonight," she smiled a little too bright. "What can I get you?"

"I would like the shrimp pasta and glass of the vintage Chianti," I tell her and she pays me no mind continuing to stare at Mr. Alexander.

"Miss, did you hear what the lady ordered?" He asked her, snapping her back into reality.

"Um, no, what were you saying?" She said with a glint in her eye.

"Shrimp pasta and Chianti." I curtly tell her, while she scribbles something down in her notepad.

"Give us a bottle of Chianti and let me have some sushi, say some spicy tuna rolls and a salad." He tells her, not even glancing up at her face.

Shame.

She huffs then collects our menus and walks away. I sigh, already feeling the exhaustion from the days activities. I rub my temples trying to relieve them from the headache currently forming.

"I'm sorry about bumping into you this morning," his deep velvet voice, tainted with a British accent made a shiver run down my spine.

"What if the coffee was hot? What would I have done then?" I narrowed my eyes at him, irritation seeping through my tone.

"Sue me," he mumbles, attempting a joke.

"Haha, so funny." I glare at his stupidly soft hair and my eyes briefly flicker down to his pink lips.

"Be mature Isabel," he tells me. "Your parents tasked me with something to tell you, however, because the agreement wasn't made until after our meeting was done, I decided to ask you for coffee tomorrow."

"Spit it out then Adrian." I tell him growing impatient with the talking.

"Well... we are to be married."

What the flying fuck?

"I must not have heard you right, can you repeat?" I tell him growing frustrated with his bullshit.

"I'm glad I caught you here tonight so it saves me a trip to the coffee club, when I have so much work to do. I'll send my assistant over to start planning the wedding and dealing with the tedious details." He tells me while my head starts to spin and I can't comprehend a word he is saying.

Wedding? Married?

My parents agreed to an arranged marriage with HIM? How dare they? I am 24 years old, I am capable of making my own decisions. Corbin just died, how the hell am I to marry someone I do not know? And they are cowards... how dare they not tell me and have this stranger tell me instead.

I abruptly pull my chair back and run out of the restaurant, heels in hand, not wanting to listen to him talk anymore. As the tears cascaded down my face and my heartbeat sped up, I jumped into my car and drove away from Gretel's, leaving a stunned Adrian behind in my wake.

. . .