the mute & the clueless

1.13

"𝐂𝐇𝐈𝐋𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐍 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔 — 𝐒𝐇𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐃 𝐍𝐎𝐓 — be heard! Do you understand?" Dr

"𝐂𝐇𝐈𝐋𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐍 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐒𝐇𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐃 𝐍𝐎𝐓 — be heard! Do you understand?" Dr. Monroe seethed visiously, spit flying from her mouth. The child screamed as the hammer came down on her fingers again. Dr. Monroe kept at tight grip on her shoulder. She dropped the hammer and jerked her up agressively. "Do you understand, Delphina? Huh?!"

She knew better then to use her words, so she nodded. Dr. Monroe threw her to the white floor. Sobs wracked her small body until she couldn't breathe and her throat was raw. Blood was spattered across the clean white floors. She clutched her mangled and broken hands close as she cried.

"Delphina,"

The girl jolted in fear and scrambled back. She felt no pain in her hands as she used them to scoot backwards. She held them up and found no blood, no bruising, no crooked fingers or bones jutting out at unnatural angles.

Her dark eyes flickered up and she whimpered at the sight before her. There, her parents stood. Their pristine and crisp lab coats were ashen and ripped. Their feet were bare and raw, burned red and black to a crisp. Her mother's once long hair was singed to her shoulders. Their hands were black and distorted.

"Why did you do this to us?" They asked painfully in sync.

The girl let a scream rip through her throat as her eyes landed on their faces. Their eyes were melted from the socket, leaving white goop trails on their cheeks. Their eye sockets were black, void holes in their heads. Delphina sobbed and scooted away, cornered against a wall. She diverted her gaze and covered her eyes. "I didn't mean to! I didn't — It wasn't supposed to happen that way!"

"We loved you."

Anger bubbled in the girl. "No, you never did!"

She shot up through her tears and shoved past her father. She didn't know where she was going, just that she needed to get away as fast as she could. Tears clouded her vision. She rammed into walls and got clipped by corners.

Suddenly, an alarm blared over her head. Sprinklers clicked from the ceiling and began spraying water. She stopped running and wiped the water from her eyes. The scent of smoke floated into her nostrils.

The scenery changed. She couldn't see two inches in front of her. Her eyes watered and she coughed violently from the smoke in her lungs. Delphina crumbled, still coughing with watery eyes.

With a gasp, Nini opened her eyes. It was dark but light at the same time. Water was trickling down her throat, it was all over her. A gargled yell left her lips. Her arms and legs tried to move, but they wouldn't. It's a towel. You're tied down. You're being waterboarded, sucker.