ch. 11: 𝓹𝓸𝓲𝓼𝓸𝓷 𝓪𝓹𝓹𝓵𝓮

Nabi ran to the cafeteria, grabbed a tissue, and bought an apple. (She used the tissue to grab it.) She returned to the lounge.

"I would like you to erase my quirk while I eat this, if it's not too much to ask."

Aizawa's blank expression looked puzzled, somehow, Nabi wasn't sure how.

"Sure." His eyes glowed red and his hair shot up. Nabi would have admired the beauty of his quirk more, had she not been hyper focused on the apple in her hand.

Nabi bit into the apple and tore a huge chunk off. She chewed the piece thoroughly yet fast, savouring the wonderful sweet juicy taste. Her tastebuds were rejoicing, that's for sure.

Although she would have wanted to eat the whole apple, she assumed that there was a limit to how long Aizawa could keep his eyes open and didn't want to be inconsiderate. She put the apple on the table and smiled as she said, "thank you". Aizawa noticed that her face was the embodiment beatitude (= supreme blessedness) and closed his eyes.

The exact second he did, the lingering juices and the 'apple' in Nabi's stomach turned into poison, and she cried out in pain. It was so unbearable she fell onto the floor, just before Aizawa realised what was going on. He erased her quirk again, but it was too late: she had passed out. Aizawa rushed her to the infirmary and Recovery Girl worked her magic.

While Nabi was unconscious at school, Shirley had her usual visitor. He was lying on the living room sofa, Shirley was sitting properly on the one next to it, several feet apart. They had been business partners for so long that he felt very comfortable around her, but she kept her distance. He had been trying to get closer to her, but he hadn't anticipated her behaviour in the study. He was reconsidering his plans, priorities, feelings, prospects, everything of that sort while looking excessively nonchalant. Shirley was working on accounting, which meant that he could do it in complete silence.

The suitor realised, after some reflection, that the relationship was horribly one-sided at that moment. He was no stupid man, actually he was highly intelligent and extremely knowledgeable, but he had been blinded by love. Now that his proverbial pink glasses were off, he asked, "When are you going to tell Nabi about me?"

"Never," was her blunt and ice-cold answer. She didn't even look up from her spreadsheets.

"Ah, I see." He was trying to hide how much it hurt him. "But, if I may, I'd like to interrupt you again to discuss a different topic."

She took the hint. With her laptop on the sofa and her eyes on him, he began, "Don't you think that Nabi is really unhappy with her quirk?"

"And what makes you say that?" She sounded defensive.

"From what I understand, she didn't know she was getting a quirk before she got it?"

"Correct."

"And from what I've observed she used to love apples, but now she can't eat any."

"Are you blaming me?" Shirley snapped with a raised voice. But he was in a ruthless mood.

"And she looks so defeated whenever anything school-related comes up. And it's only been a few days!"

"YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT HER!" Shirley was fuming.

"If you say so," he said as he stood up. "I've wasted too much of your time. I'll leave now."

By the time of exiting the house, he had made up his mind.