28

28

River tried her very best not to look. The canal, with the lights twinkling and rippling in the surface of the waters, captured her gaze more than anything. Yet, every so often, her eyes would lift and wander to the side without any provocation. Only to see another woman, in various states of undress, standing within windows with the ubiquitous red lights lending strange, enticing shadows upon their bodies.

Of course, it had to lead to a place such as this. Amsterdam's famous Red Light District, where legally registered prostitutes attempted to earn their money from those walking by. It didn't matter to most of these women whether they tried to grab the attention of men or women, a customer was a customer. And River, though in awe of the wealth of beautiful women in display, tried desperately not to look.

Celeste didn't appear to notice. She had her eyes firmly held by the display of her phone, where the map indicated where they should go to await the end of the baggage handlers' strike. A phone call, received in the cab, had informed Celeste of a room they could use. The usual occupant elsewhere in the world. London, or Dubai, or New York. The caller was not entirely certain and sounded as though this was the norm for them.

To River, allowing someone she didn't know to use her flat while she stayed elsewhere was tantamount to the most horrific of visions. The thought of someone sleeping in her bed, or looking through her underwear drawer, or, horror of horrors, making tea with her utensils and putting everything away in the wrong place. The very thought made her feel ill.

This person, however, appeared more than happy for a friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend to cozy themselves in their apartment without even performing a deep, detailed background check. River couldn't tell if it was immensely sweet, or ridiculously naive of them. Still, finding more regular places to stay had proven nigh on impossible.

"I think ... yes. Up this way." Celeste turned in an instant and River made several extra steps before she scrambled to catch up to her. "It says we'll find a courtyard in a hundred metres or so."

Even here, in this little side street, the display of women continued for a good few rows of houses before they began to dwindle away. They soon left the stark, harsh red lighting behind and the street began to look more like a normal street. A normal street except for the exquisite buildings so unlike anything she had seen back home.

"Are you sure we'll be alright?" River skipped her feet twice to line up her stride with Celeste's with only a momentary glance back to the crowded Red Light District they had left. "I know I'd feel super-weird about people staying in my flat and you say you don't even know this man. What if they get angry because we've drunk all their tea. Or coffee. What if we leave an odd smell? I know my deodorant isn't the most expensive. What if he thinks we're some cheap yobs? Well, me. Not you. Obviously."

"It'll be fine. I think I met him once. He's nice." She stopped, turning to the side and looking at a wooden gate with peeling black paint. "I think this is it. Don't worry. From what I remember of him, he's very easy going."

River hung back while Celeste pushed open the gate and strode into the tight alley beyond, calling 'hello' a number of times as she walked. She had no fear of anything. Never appeared to feel out of place anywhere. She saw, she conquered, with an air of authority that River could only dream of. After a few seconds, River raced to catch up and found Celeste talking to a short, round-faced old woman. Even at this time of night, the woman wore a colourful scarf on her head.

Celeste and the woman spoke for a long while and River felt silly that she still found it surprising that Celeste could speak Dutch. The conversation rattled along at a fast pace and it soon became clear that Celeste didn't only speak Dutch, she spoke it well. After a few more seconds, the old woman threw her hands in the air, rolling her eyes.