Elysium

The sunset. The same one that Rex had been watching for the past 60 years. All the orphans had grown up and gone. Some of them came back, and they helped tend to the old 75-year old Hero of Alrest, currently sitting on a small chair on the back deck of his passed Auntie Corrine's old house, facing a salvaging spot from his youth.

Rex's optimistic youth had changed to a wise, quiet senior. Ever since they saved Alrest from the World Tree's collapse, Rex had settled down with his 4 Blades Pyra, Mythra, Nia, and Roc. Zeke, Tora, and Morag lived their separate lives, and they all had stayed close.

Only Roc was around now, and Rex could swear that the bird had aged too, despite it being impossible for a Blade to physically do so. The Aegis and Nia were special cases, though. They both passed already. Naturally, peacefully... but it didn't make it hurt any less. The Aegis returning so soon after reawakening was unnatural and had shortened his first Blades lifespan by millenniums. They both passed, together as Pneuma, almost 20 years ago now. Then it was just him, Nia, and Roc. Nia passed away only 2 years ago, her lifespan shortened to that of a normal human from her loss of Blades immortality by becoming a Flesh Eater. Roc was the only one who would return to his core on Rex's death.

Rex let out a ragged cough. His death was drawing nearer, he could feel it. All his other friends died peacefully too. Morag, Zeke, and Tora all passed a while ago, and Poppi became a treasured heirloom in Tora's family, long shut down. Nearly everyone was gone. Even Brighid and Pandy had passed with their Drivers.

Brighid decided that Morag would be her final Driver, and Mor Ardain made a huge ceremony to thank the Blade for service, before laying her to rest with Morag. Pandy died along with Zeke because he had her half of the core crystal, and she couldn't return to it.

Another ragged cough burst past Rex's lips, and along with it was specks of blood. Roc had merely pat his Driver's back gently. They both knew the time had come.

Rex closed his eyes, and suddenly. He wasn't old anymore, he was 15 again. Still clad in his ragged, thin clothes. Roc was no longer beside him, and Fonsett was silent. Looking ahead from the back porch, the sunset had parted to reveal them, in their spiritual forms.

Zeke and Pandy, Morag and Brighid, Tora, Dromarch, Vandham and Roc, Pyra and Mythra, Nia... all of them were waiting for him.

Nia approached, clad in her Blade outfit, and offered her hand to the boy. Rex had no hesitation, and grasped Nia's hand firmly, letting her lead him to the group. His old, lifeless body dropped to the floor, along with a black Core Crystal.
But he kept walking, his signature Salvager suit returned as his skin turned transparent blue, like everyone else's. But once he reached the group, Pneuma's Armour replaced his Salvager suit.

Not a word was spoken among the spirits, as they turned back to the sunset. Pneuma's emerald green power, vanishing them from Fonsett Island.

On their way to Elysium, yet again.