Prologue

Shehnaaz wakes up to the constant pitter-patter sound of the rain. Monsoon has always been her favourite season.She got up from her bed and then went to the balcony.The atmosphere was so soothing and calm.She felt as if the nature was also rejuvenating itself.Indian monsoons have a different charm and probably she was missing this charm during her stay at Bloomington.
"Pulchritudinous,"was the only word she could say looking at the mesmerizing natural scenario.
"Sana,can I come in",her mother said knocking the door of her room.
"From when did you develop this weird habit of taking permission from me before entering my room mom",she said turning towards her mother.
"Just now Sana,but tell me something when will you leave this weird habit of getting wet in rain, why don't you understand today is your marriage beta,"she was going to speak something more but was interrupted by her one and only daughter.
" And you are somehow worried that I will end up sneezing and coughing in front of Sidharth on our suhagraat."
"Sana behave,I am your mother,"were the only words her mother could utter listening to the shameless talks of her daughter.
"When did I say that you are my pados wali chachi?"she was quick enough in her reply.
" Okay you win,now please come inside the room and get ready, after sometime your premarriage rituals will start."
"Mom,where is dad?" she asked her mother once they were inside the room.
"Busy in checking the arrangements beta."
"Okay fine mom, tell him to meet me once."
"Okay,I will tell him but please get ready now or else you will be late", saying this her mother left.
She was getting ready when all of a sudden her phone rang."Husband"the caller name appeared in her phone screen.
" Hello pati ji"she said after tapping the green answer button to answer the call.
"Hello patni ji",her fiance Sidharth responded from the other side.
"Okay first tell me what are you doing now?"
"Just trying to decide what I should wear for today, rather to be very honest confused between these extravagant and expensive sherwanis and my normal boxers and tee shirt," he replied.
"Come on Sidharth,you are my best friend,we are chaddi buddies,if you wish you can come without any dress also," Sana said making Sidharth dumbstruck and shocked.
"Thoda sharam kar le yaar, best friend hai matlab kuch bhi bolegi, hadd hai,"he said.
" You know what I am,jo dil pe whi muh pe,okay now tell why you have called me,you want to tell me something right,what has happened? "she asked.
" How did you know that I wanted to tell you something."
"Intuitions baby,hope you have not forgotten the fact that I am your bosom buddy".
" Sana, umm,actually............"Sana was shocked by this behavior of her man.He had never hesitated to express his opinions and feelings in front of his best friend Sana. He was a straight forward guy just like her and this personality of Sidharth had made him the most ideal man for Shehnaaz.
"Oyee what happened are you planning to cancel the marriage,do you like sorry love someone else other than me,wait a minute, tell me her address and name,I promise you I will bring her to the mandap,"she uttered even though knowing the fact that she can leave everything for Sidharth but can't leave Sidharth for anything. Her best friend was the most precious gift gifted to her by God after her mom and dad.
"Shehnaaz are you mad,I can not live without you neither can I think of anyone except you in my life. The matter is something else,"he yelled from the other side of the phone.
" I know man, was just teasing you baba,cool down, okay now me tell what is the matter,"she said ripping up all sort of negative and unwanted thoughts that were happening in her mind.
"Sana this is a news which has two sides- positive and a negative".
"Okay tell the positive side first then utter the negative side."
"Positive side of the news is that I am getting transferred to North Bengal as the manager of a tea garden and......... "
"Wow North Bengal damn man and you are saying this now, that's my favourite place and as a manager, dude congratulations, matlab ghar gaddi sab free, yay,"Sana exclaimed with joy. North Bengal was her favorite place.The greenery and serenity of this place attracted her very much.
"Wait a minute listen to the negative side of the story too before getting too much excited, " Sidharth said interrupting her.
"Oo khotey, why do you always spoil my mood, what is the negative side,"she asked.
"I have to go there tomorrow, we have a flight tomorrow, so basically we have to pack our bags tonight that is our first night instead of doing anything else,"he replied in a sad and guilt stricken tone.
"This is a negative news.Seriously Sidharth.Rather you should be elated.You had always aspired to become a tea garden manager have you forgotten that.And I know it very well that you are sad which you don't have to be.So just chill.And if you are thinking about honeymoon then what could be a better place than Kanchenjunga hills and the forest of Dooars."she said making Sidharth feel relaxed.He thanked his stars and god for sending a considerate and understanding person like Shehnaaz into his life. .And probably this is the reason she was unique and he had chosen her as his ardhangini.The most unique, sensible and precious lady in his life after his mother.
"Okay now hang up the phone,I hope everything is settled,because unlike you I have to wear a lehenga which is very mehenga and now I have to fix this and look like a gulab jamun, I wish I was a boy."
"Do you need my help baby",he asked with a coy smile somehow knowing what kind of reply she was going to give.
" Yes definitely,why not, I am ready for it, are you ready for the adventure because you are prohibited from entering my house before the marriage takes place, so are you ready?"she was spontaneous in replying.
"Yes sure,you remember right,"he was going to say something but was interrupted by a knock on the door.
"Montu get ready beta and come down stairs" It was Sidharth's mom Rita.
"Yes mom coming,", Sidharth replied.
"Go Montu get ready."
"Oyee, again you are calling me Montu."
"Okay bye Montu, Montu, Montu."Shehnaaz teased Sidharth by repeatedly calling his nickname as she knew how much irritated he would get listening to the word Montu from her.
" Shehnaaz,.., teri toh,... ", before Sidharth could utter anything else she cut the call.
"What is your husband's name Shehnaaz?"she asked herself,looking at her reflection as she stood in front of the mirror.
"Montu Singh Minhas", she giggles.
"Sana,"someone called her while she was applying the last touch of makeup to her face.
" Riddhi",she said excitedly and then hugged her.
"How are you?", Riddhi asked Sana breaking the hug.
"I am fine, how are you?"
"Fine"
"What about Sidharth?"
"Fine enough. He called me few minutes ago."
" Ohoo romantic talks haa,"Riddhi teased Sana.
"No man, nothing like that,he just called me to tell that he is getting transferred as a manager to North Bengal and tomorrow we have to board our flight."
"Wow congratulations,but they could have atleast given 2 days for everything.These private companies are too much", Riddhi said.
" Yep that's right but work is the main priority right,these things can happen later too and if necessary Sidharth and I can marry again so that we get a second chance to do everything," Sana winked her eye.
"LOL,but I have to accept something dude,Sidharth is very lucky to have you in his life,"Riddhi and Shehnaaz were college besties.She knew that though Shehnaaz might appear to be immature to many people but she was the most mature,understanding and perfect girl.
"But tell me something what is the name of the bungalow where you guys will be living",she inquired.
"I also don't know this,but,no worries,whatsApp mein puch leti hu",she opened her phone and then typed" Where will we live in North Bengal, tell the address and bungalow's name, Riddhi is asking".
"5, Eliot hills",Sidharth replied.
" Okay", Sana typed.
"Riddhi, it is 5,Eliot Hills",Sana said looking at Riddhi.
" 5,Eliot Hills, this place, are you sure Sana?"Riddhi asked. She looked a bit worried.
"Why, what happened,do you know about this place, you and Ankit also stayed in North Bengal, so you will know better than us." Ankit was Riddhi's husband. They got married one year ago. He was the deputy manager of a tea garden and had been staying in North Bengal since one year.
"No actually as far as I know no manager had visited the bungalow for 3 years even if they visited they returned after few months stating that they felt very uncomfortable in that place and you remember we had a santhali househelp in our bungalow,she once told me that bungalow has some problems,what she said yes vastudosh".
"Riddhi seriously being a science student you are believing these things," Shehnaaz said.
"But that bungalow is not normal Sana.Mat jaa please,jana bohut necessary hai kya and also prevent Sidharth from going there,"Riddhi pleaded.She looked very pale as if she was worried about something.
"Riddhi,Sidharth and I have stayed separately for two years,it was me for whom the marriage was delayed,many people had told him to prevent me from going abroad telling that I won't remember him after my return to India, but he didn't give any heed to those talks, rather he was the one who took all initiatives for sending me to Bloomington and was excited more than my mom and dad for my new venture,and today he is going to start a new phase in his job,I have to be with him, he needs me Riddhi,and if anything unfortunate happens then we will face it together,"Shehnaaz recalled those phases of her life when Sidharth stood like a strong pillar beside her whenever she needed him.It was Sidharth who had convinced her family to let her achieve her dreams by allowing her to go and study abroad.
"And yes don't believe in this rumours. These are just stories made up by the local people,"Shehnaaz said confidently.
"I know Sana you are very strong and brave,but incase you and Sidharth face any problems there then promise me that you will contact us first."
"Yes, I promise,I will contact you first if we face any danger, "Sana assured Riddhi.
"Okay I am taking a leave now because I have to help others in the haldi ritual,"saying this Riddhi left.
"I don't know what is going to happen in the coming times,but I will never leave you Sidharth,I have stayed without you for two years and that was enough as a punishment for me.If anything ominous happens then we will face it together.You tell me that I trust you like a mad, but call me a crazy or whatever you can,I do love you like a mad and I know you will hold my hands strongly even in harder times and I just pray to waheguru that everything goes well,"saying this she pacified herself.Was she affected by what her friend Riddhi narrated just a few minutes ago?Yes,she did get affected.No matter how brave she looked, how realistic she was,but at the end of the day she was also a human being.The words of her friend had definitely triggered some disturbing thoughts in her mind.She somehow managed to remove all sort of disturbing thoughts and then walked towards her almirah.She opened her almirah and then took out a photo album titled "Montu and Sana",the album contained photos of her and Sidharth, from their childhood to adulthood.This was gifted to her by him on her eighteenth birthday.
"Montu ki Sana,Sana ka Montu,"she closed the album saying this.
**********
Hi readers so this is the prologue of my first horror story.Do tell me how it is through your comments as this is my first and don't forget to vote by clicking on the ⭐ button.