Chapter 2

I suppose I better explain myself. My name is Jalia Edeline, as you may have gathered I am not human. I’m not a vampire either, or werewolf, or whatever other monsters you read about. I’m a Bi-blouk, you weren’t expecting that now were you?

A Bi-Blouk is a partially invisible man-eater (I’ll explain my diet in a moment) so as a consequence I appear to have one leg, one arm and one of every other pair in the body. However, I do have a ‘full’ body, but the entire right-hand side of my body is invisible- pretty cool, huh? This wouldn’t prove a problem if it didn’t act as a window into the inner workings of the left side, the visible side, of my body. I guess it was the cross section of my brain that caused the teacher to faint.

My brain is interesting too, I guess, as you would imagine normal humans aren’t half invisible so there must be something with my invisible side to make me...different. The left side is what I like to call my ‘human’ side, this side deals with emotions such as love, regret, guilt and shyness. My right side is far more primitive in its actions, this is where my wrath, desire and hunger lie; I often have to prevent myself from becoming a victim to it. I’ve often surrendered to that overwhelming power that is hunger, naturally Bi-Blouks and Hai-uris (The male equivalent, although are invisible down the left side) would regularly feast on human flesh. In modern times, this is seen as unacceptable, so I survive by eating regular ‘normal’ meals and have to feast every month; if I did not do so then I would be eaten alive by my invisible ‘friend’ or starve.

Human flesh to me is what well cooked steak is to you, well, imagine the smell of steak but 10 times stronger and when you haven’t eaten in a month. It’s enough to drive you crazy. It has before and will no doubt be the cause of another ‘unknown’ cause of death at some point in the future.

 School is torture; my parents have enough money to run and own their own guest house without the slightest financial worry but don’t have enough money to send me to private school, or at least fund home-schooling. My Father’s excuse is to acclimatise myself to the smell; well, I can’t. There’s nothing worse than sitting behind a girl fanning herself with her exercise book on a hot summers’ day, to me it shouts out “Barbecue”! 

I looked at the mirror again, my large scarlet eye being the first thing I see. I tie my hair up in its usual manner and leave my room to conduct my daily duties.