Chapter 4

I packed my satchel for school; with the same amount of dread as always, it was no lie when I said I hate school. Although, I’ve already told my reasoning for this, I cannot possibly reiterate my sheer hatred of this compulsory establishment! I looked up at the table and began searching for my pencil case. I knew it was around here somewhere. Before I knew it, Roger was standing there; his arm outstretched and clutched in his hand was my pencil case.

“You really need to look after your things, Miss. Edeline” He smiled. I loved his smile; it was the only one that’s remained true over these years. I’ve seen maids come and go; each of them smile, but none of them as warm as Roger’s. I reached for the case and dropped it into my satchel, quickly closed it and sat back on my chair to think nothing more of it.

“I hope you do realise Roger that Miss. Edeline isn’t my name” I remarked. Of course it was my name, but I hated being addressed by my surname; especially by someone I’ve known as long as I have Roger.

“I’d love to address you otherwise, Miss. Edeline,” His voice trembled ever so slightly “but your father wouldn’t settle for anything less.”

I understood completely, in my knowledge Roger was sold to my Father from a young age. Both his parents work here and by some unknown agreement Roger was to stay and work here until a certain age. Father never told me the details. However, this made him disposable, Father like I needed to feast on human flesh; Roger would be the obvious target if he went against his word. Part of me was glad that Roger was subdued to this fate, otherwise I would have grown up completely unaccepted by anybody; he’s always been there, I just wish he was allowed to go into education. That way school wouldn’t be half the nightmare it currently is. I must have been looking at him with such intensity that he felt the need to put his hand on my cheek. They immediately flared up and I could feel them burning under his touch, his smile made it all the worse. He tapped me three times and took his hand away.

“Wake up, Miss. Edeline, you have school in ten minutes” He chuckled.

“School really is a bothersome affair; one that would be much enlightened by your presence”

I was doing it again, I had a terrible habit of speaking like a stuck up snob when embarrassed or angry...or any strong emotion for that matter, although, Roger was quite accustomed to this strange behaviour of mine.  I got on my feet –Roger did likewise- I wrapped my arms around him and said goodbye. He picked up my satchel and gestured for me to get a move on.

“See you at three, Miss. Edeline, and I’ll have Mum get your beans on toast ready for you”

He knew me too well, I’m always hungry after a day at school; you would be too if you were surrounded by your favourite meal all day. 

----------------------------------------------------------  

I know this chapter is a short one, but I've planned out the other chapters so there will be more action coming up (I promise!) In the meantime, votes and comments would be much appreciated, I'm still new to this business of story writing, especially in first person. Also, if you find any mistakes, spelling or otherwise, please tell me so I can put it right :) 

♥Thanks for reading ♥