Chapter III - The Strange Man

Ekko felt his stomach contorting with guilt, but Viktor not only paid him, he also shared his plan. It was a good plan, better than hiding forever and delaying the inevitable. He'd make sure to share the money with Powder and the others, and if this stranger turned out to be a threat, Vander would know what to do.

Still, a part of him, a tiny piece of conscience, whispered. Traitor, it accused him, and he kept fighting this voice, kept justifying his actions.

Silent, just like water flowing on the concrete, when there was heavy rain, he followed Viktor around the city and toward Vander. It was easy to keep track of someone that slow, but his impatience was the true obstacle. He wanted to know, he wanted to make sure he made the right choice.

After a good while he arrived and found a place to hide. The view was not the best, but he could hear them as if he was part of the conversation.

So, he listened.

(...)

Vander looked the newcomer up and down, not sure what to make of him. The man was pale and had dark circles under his eyes, but was dressed in Piltover's finest clothes. What was this man doing there?

"I'm looking for Vander." The man called, after ordering a drink. He had a strong accent."That would be me, friend." Vander tried his best to spit the word 'friend' just like an insult. The stranger didn't react at first, although he chuckled after some time. "Where are my manners? I'm Viktor."

This... Viktor knew better than to extend his hand, which would be perfectly ignored. Instead, there was a mutual nod and Vander frowned. "What do you want, Piltover?"

"We should discuss this in private. It's about the kids." The color drained from his face to match Viktor's, and that was enough to move the talk to his office.

"So?" Vander tried to suppress his despair but the cracks were bigger and bigger with each second they spoke. "I know you take care of a blue-haired girl... Pow..." Powder. Vander interrupted: "What of it?"

Viktor paused, eyes distant, tapping his fingers on the table with no particular rhythm. "I want to help her." He said. "We don't need your help. Get out of my sight." Vander scowled.

"Please, hear me out." Well, he had little choice, since he wouldn't stop talking even while being dragged out. "I've been where she is now. I grew up here." This made Vander stop in his track. Viktor made good use of his pause: "she can be my apprentice. The lab she blew up belongs to a dear friend of mine, I can make him drop charges. Jayce is a good man."

Vander scoffs: "And I'm guessing you think of yourself as a fine man as well." Viktor shrugged and then performed a clumsy attempt to regain his balance now that Vander let go of him. It was slightly more amusing to Vander than it should, but the amusement came from the relief to know that, at least physically, he had the upper hand. "She is my daughter." the bar owner muttered. "And that doesn't have to change. I'm not looking to adopt her, just making sure her potential is not wasted down here. I want to offer her what I wish I had when I was starting out."

The former revolutionary turned his back to his visitor for a second, taking in a shaky breath. "I understand. How long do I have to think about your offer?" A pause. Viktor needed to calculate the precious little time they had. "Not long. You can imagine how the officers are right now. I imagine you have already hosted them in your bar recently, have you not?" He nodded in response. It was true, not long before an officer with whom he shared an old deal came knocking, pressuring him into giving up the kids. "How long?" he insisted.

Viktor hesitated. "A few hours at most. These things, well, legal things, take time. Trust a rich bastard to slow everything down with bureaucracy." Vander smirked "Aren't you a rich bastard?" They shared nervous laughter together. "Well, I have to say you gave me something to at least think about. I'll speak with the kids, gauge for their reaction, then we'll talk."