Chapter 34 Josephine

When I woke up in bed alone, I was worried at first. I didn't sense August anywhere. When I reached out with the mindlink he was eagerly waiting to respond.

I knew he was frustrated at our lack of answers, more than that, he was frustrated at my father. He didn't know how to say it outloud or to talk to me about it, I figured he just didn't want to upset me anymore.

The truth was, I was angry at my father too. He left me, my brother, the Alpha, and the pack unprepared and unable to protect ourselves. I was pissed.

I needed to work off some of my frustrations, so I decided to take a walk around the grounds. I ended up on the training grounds, watching Wyatt, Logan, and Ethan train some young warriors. I stepped up on the viewing deck that hovered over the practice arena. I leaned against the railing, watching intently.

"Reminiscing, Luna?" Wyatt's voice made me jump.

"Remembering all the times I whooped your ass." I laughed at him. Wyatt stepped up beside me, smirking.

"Care for a rematch?" He cocked an eyebrow.

"Pretty sure your brother would kill you." I laughed.

"That's true, but what's life without a little risk?" He shrugged. I looked at him from the corner of my eye, trying to decide if he was serious or not.

"Come on." He nodded his head towards the arena and stepped aside.

"What the hell?" I grinned, jumping down the steps and heaving myself up onto the arena mat.

"Luna on deck!" Logan yelled. Everyone stopped moving and stood to attention, bowing their heads in respect.

"What are you training them for, Logan, the ballet?" I teased him, walking across the mat. Logan smiled,

"No, ma'am." I rolled my eyes at him.

"Back to work." I waved my hand, dismissing their formalities. Logan nodded and the trainees returned to their sparring.

"Did you need something, Luna?" Beta Ethan approached our small group. I shook my head,

"Just watching."

"Luna is all talk and no bite." Wyatt shoved his shoulder against mine. I grabbed his hand and flipped him through the air, laughing as he spun head over ass before slamming onto the floor. Everyone stilled again, staring at the Alpha's brother sprawled out on the mat.

"Daaaaamn." Ethan cried, doubling over with laughter. Logan held his hand up towards me and I smacked it with a grin.

"My brother, the genius." Logan said, shaking his head. Wyatt grumbled and groaned as he stood up,

"Not fair, I wasn't ready."

"Lesson one," I yelled so everyone could hear,

"Always be prepared."

"Yes, Luna." The warriors responded in unison, returning to their training.

"It's okay Wyatt, you know what they say? Those who can't do, teach." I motioned around to the trainees he was in charge of. Wyatt rolled his eyes and walked away.

"Care to join us?" Logan offered. I shook my head,

"You guys are doing just fine. I think I'm going to go for a run. Let Hayden know if you see him, will you?" I said, retreating from the arena. I had grown use to Hayden being my personal bodyguard, he was always around, but I was able to skip out on him this morning.

I knew August was in the woods so I decided to start running in that direction and see if I could run into him. I jogged through the thicket of the trees, slipping into the cooling shadow of the woods. I always loved running in this forest, it trained you in more than just stamina. You learned how to be observant and agile, gaining a better sense of direction and how to think quickly on your feet. You had to dodge rocks and tree roots, avoiding trees, all while attempting not to get lost.