Prologue

Prologue

I remember my favourite day like it happened yesterday. My parents and I had gone for a road trip when we came across a field that was covered in grass that was cut to perfection. We decided to camp on the field so; my father drove on to the field and parked the car. I had just turned 10 so I was full of energy. I jumped out of the car and I ran to my mom. I grabbed both her hands and we both started skipping in circles. While my mom and I ran around in circles my dad set up the tent. Once he was done he called out to the two of us. My mom challenged me to a running race. With humour in her voice she said "One your marks.... Get set.... GO!" I ran with all my might towards my father. As soon as I reached him he picked me up and held me high while I chanted "I won I won". The three of us sat down and silently watched as the sun set. We ate and sang loudly under the stars till I fell asleep.

That night I dreamt of how my mother and I giggled together. How she let me win the race and at that time let me believe that I had won the race. How my father picked me up and spun me around while I cheered in victory. How every time my mother looked away he would steal a gem chocolate from her packet just for my entertainment. How he would come up with the worst jokes and stories yet my mother and I pretended that we loved his stories. How we sang so loudly that we were sure that my Aunt Joyce, who is mom's sister, would've heard us all the way at her home. How my father played the guitar so well that it looked so beautiful to watch. Yet the best part of my dream was how my parents loved each other with every fibre in their body.

Can you imagine so much happiness suddenly ripped out of your life the very next night? The last thing you remember of your happiness ended with tiers screeching and that was it? That's what happened to me. And I never got sympathy or pity and I was thankful that I did not get either two but in place of that I got bullied. Every. Single. Day.

I dealt with it. How you may ask? I invested every single second of my time working hard with my studies so that I can go as far away as I can from the hell hole I was living in. I got straights A's and was the teachers favourite in every class, including gym class. I studied hard and I made sure I did a lot of extracurricular activities that would impress colleges and give them more reason to accept me into their college as an asset. My policy was hard work pays off. Nobody and nothing was going to come in the way of that. Until one day when I was forced to help Jake Wild in math. He was popular and full of smiles. His family was loaded and he flaunted their money around. He was nice to everybody and I've heard that his family members are very close. But to me he is no one great which didn't seem to sit well with him. Yet somehow he managed to change everything for me. He taught me so much while simultaneously I taught him a lot. Not only in math but in other aspects.

My last year in school I never expected to make a new friend or was he only my friend?