18

I jolted awake with a gasp.

"Shit," I cursed, getting out of bed.

I hated having nightmares. It was my past haunting me in my sleep. I looked at the time and let out a breath. I had to get ready for school.

I dreaded the idea of that. Another day at that school full of idiots I hated, who hated me back. Most of them anyway.

I didn't want to think about the way I used to act and behave. I never meant for things to go as far as they did. It was just the idea that my mom actually wanted to get serious with Anthony, the man she dated before Ryan. Apparently he wanted her to move into his big house, but I didn't like the idea. She never knew I'd attempted suicide that day we fought, all she knew was that I was caught in the middle of a car accident and survived. In fact, nobody knew my intentions. Mom and I weren't exactly on good terms days after that, even though she was heartbroken that I could've been killed. A week later, she came to my room to announce that she broke up with Anthony to make me happy. She told me that my happiness was all that mattered to her now.

That was my turning point. Despite the fact that she didn't think it would've worked with Anthony, I had been consumed with the biggest amount of guilt a human could ever feel. I was convinced that I was the worst possible son ever, and I told her this. She just said it wasn't my fault but in reality it was. I was the one dating all kinds of guys. I should've kept my mouth shut and let her date whoever she wanted as well. I had been selfish, because I knew she liked this guy and I took her happiness away while she was looking after mine.

Since then, we'd been closer than ever. And if it came down to it, I wouldn't give Mom up for anyone. She's done so much for me and I've been so ungrateful. Now that she was seeing Ryan, I knew I had support her just as much.

I brushed my teeth, took a shower and put on my black clothes. I wore a dark gray beanie, letting it be loose on my head, a black shirt with another leather jacket of mine, dark jeans and black shoes. I grabbed my phone off the charger and immediately texted Jace good morning.

I took my bookbag and gazed at my walls. I stared at all the drawn and painted pictures of my dad. I missed him so much. I'd give anything to be a little kid again, to have him play the piano for me or sing me to sleep. Then he'd tuck me into bed and say, I love you, Tiger.

A sad smile made its way onto my face, along with another wave of depression. I hated feeling this way. Mom had told me if I wanted to see a therapist, all I had to do was ask. She wanted me to, and my doctor even recommended it. But it would take way more than a therapist to cure this ache.

I made my way downstairs and I could hear Mom getting ready for work. I smiled. I decided to change things up for once.

I made breakfast for her, and set the table. I lit a couple scented candles to fill the house with more warmth. It's been cold in here for a while...

"Oh, wow!" I heard Mom's voice. I looked up as she approached me from the stairs.

"Morning," I smiled.

"Look who made some breakfast! I'm quite proud of you."

I kissed her cheek. "And I really wish I could eat with you, but I gotta run or I'll be late."

"Of course, hon. I'll see you in the evening. Say hi to your boyfriend for me." She winked and I smiled.

"Mkay, bye Mom."

We hugged and I left, getting on my motorcycle.

Jace's POV

I had gone to school early because the football players had to practice for homecoming. I was happy that coach decided to plead for me to get back on the team. I guess that was just the advantage of being a good quality player. Plus, Coach knew I had a lot going for me. Sponsors had come to several of our games and each time, I was given one of the best reviews and offered scholarships. It would be stupid to kick me off the team, because seriously, they weren't going to find a good quarterback by homecoming. Or rather, a better quarterback.