Just Best Friends....Right?

April 1991

April 1991

*Knock Knock Knock*

"There he goes," Paris said as she made her way to the front door.

She had invited over her best friend, Nasir, and he had finally arrived. They've been best friends since 2nd grade. They used to sit next to each other, and he got a weird kick out of torturing her. One time, he threatened to snitch on her after she borrowed his black crayon without asking him. He raised his hand as she begged him not to tell to the teacher in fear of it ruining her innocent girl image. When Mrs. Munoz called on him, he asked to go to the restroom....typical. They didn't actually become friends until some dudes started assaulting Paris at recess. He and his light skin sidekick started taking turns copping a feel of Paris's butt. That's when Nasir stepped in and punched one of the dudes. They've been besties ever since.

"Yo, Slim, come on and open the door! It's cold as shit out here." Nasir barked.

"Here I come, Nas," she responded.

She finally opened the door and there he stood in front of her. He greeted her with a kiss on the cheek. It was just something he did. Paris moved out of the way so Nasir could enter, but before she closed the door, she looked around outside to make sure none of her nosy ass neighbors were watching. They were a bunch of older people who were quick to rat Paris out to her mom since she could be a little sneaky sometimes. Her mom wasn't fond of Nas coming around while she was gone, so she told the other adults on the block to watch out for him and his "hooligan friends". Usually, he'd use the fire escape to climb up to her window, but it was 2 am, which means the elderly's bedtime had passed. Nothing to worry about here.

"You brought the smoke?" She asked.

"Nah, Jungle smoked all my shit up with P-1 and nem' earlier."

"Damn! I was forward to that shit. And you was gone need it after I tell you this" she hinted.

"Tell me what?" he asked with his right eyebrow raised to the gods.

"Come on," she said as she grabbed his hand and led him to her bedroom

Her bedroom was nothing spectacular, at least according to Nasir. She had a twin bed in the corner with a "New Kids On The Block" comforter set, posters up of every black tv show and movie you could think of, a poster of LL Cool J that she kissed occasionally, and scattered on her floor were clothes, school papers, teddy bears, and some other unorganized shit.