Freak Girl

Visible

Chapter One

The bell finished ringing simultaneously as her foot touched down on the inside of the classroom floor, safe.

Mr. Doppler might have frowned only the well-shielded girl blocked with a large dark hoodie couldn’t tell.

The girl whose appearance was noticed, kept her head down and concentrated on getting to her seat in the last row.

With four heavy books pressed tightly against her chest and a backpack weighing her down, she moved surprisingly fast.

Almost there, she mentally told herself. She was just about to her seat, when from the right a hand shot out to snag her books.

Surprised she countered by turning but didn’t see the foot that stuck out and tripped her.

A diversion she should have known, so down she went, books flying, hard contact with the floor shot pain into her knees and the sting of the slap against her palms smarted.

Smug laughter rolled off the lips of the offender, chorused by the rest of the students.

Holding back the hot tears, she held her tongue, swallowing the words,’ she so ardently wanted to spit out.

She knew exactly whom that sneaker belonged too, but at last she just kept silent.

Hastily picking up her books, when she reached for the fourth one she couldn’t find it. She stood up looked frantically around the chair legs and feet.

“Amber,” an evoking deep voice smooth and cool like dark chocolate spoke her name.

Bryce Downing, the most sot after boy in school.

She suddenly froze, her throat felt dry, she shivered inside, her nostrils flared.

Her senses amplified as she slowly looked toward the hand that held her book out to her.

“Are you going to take it reject?”

This  voice came from behind her, belonging to Jimmy Watson, the one and only star Jester and tormentor of the jock group.

She didn’t give him any attention, her eyes fixed on her book, wondering if she reached for it what the holder was going to do. Suddenly she was shoved from behind her momentum shifted and she had no choice but to go forward.

Amber grabbed the book and swiftly to everyone disappointment turned and landed nicely in her chair.

Ducking her head quickly she automatically lifted off the backpack and slid it to the floor.

She never saw the astonished expression on the face that came from the one that had called her name.

She never looked up or answered during class, yet her papers were one of the highest in class.

She never spoke directly to anyone and she had been in this school now for a year.

Teachers just gradually left her alone accepting her situation just as long as she passed in her homework and was maintaining a high grade she became invisible. They had bigger problems to deal with, like drugs.

Today though would be the beginning of change, her safe bubble would be popped and she would for the first time, be forced to let someone see beyond the walls.

“We have a new assignment that will take about two weeks to accomplish. It will be on the famous mystery writes of our times. I have designated assigned partners.”

At this a  fresh round of moans and complaints stirred the air but not enough to gain her full attention, till her name was assigned to Bryce Downing.