Day One.

Near. There's not much I can say about him except for the fact he's my rival. We've been competing to be L's successor almost everyday since day one. But, for some reason, I've always felt so drawn to him, and it frustrates the hell out of me.

I always end up finding myself watching him from afar in the common area. Studying him. Observing him as he places each piece of his puzzle down, second by second. It seems he always has to keep his hands fixated on something. He always seems like his mind could be as occupied as mine is. I wonder if this means he's also thinking about me? But it might be a little questionable if I cared. Though, it's normal to want your rival to be afraid or intimidated right? But I'm the one afraid. Afraid because to me it might be something different, Something larger. It just makes my hatred for him grow that much more.

  I hear footsteps approaching..
"Ah, Mello, Near, I'm glad you're both here,'' Roger says, approaching us. Near looks up at us from his puzzle. "Oh, I was just.. Passing by..." I say to him so Near doesn't think I was watching him. Or perhaps he already was aware of my presence, and chose to ignore it. "I'd like to see you both in my office in a bit if you could." He likes to make it seem like he's nicely asking us but we both know it's really just a demand. "Understood." Near quietly but plainly speaks, getting his almost finished puzzle ready to be put away.

A couple moments later we were both standing before Roger in his office. "Well, What is it that you need, Roger?" I ask, taking one step closer to his desk. One step closer to Near. I glance over to him. It seems he's planted himself a couple feet or so in front of Roger's desk. Sitting on the floor not looking up from his puzzle. Most would think he is uninterested in what Roger has to say, But I know him better than that. But still, Just being in the same room as Near makes my blood boil.

'I have a project for you two." My eyes lit up. A chance to finally beat Near at something! "A project? what type of project?" I ask, taking another step closer to the desk. Another step closer to Near. "This one is a bit different from the others I have assigned you in the past. Me and the other teachers have been discussing whether or not to assign this, and we believe it's for the better." He says taking three papers out from his desk. "Hm." Mumbles Near looking for one of his puzzle pieces. "Different how?" I ask, The excitement slowly leaving my eyes. "You two must work together to complete it. To make it easier you'll only have to work on it during the morning hours. I expect you both to write a detailed report on poisons over a span of three days." He says with a more serious tone.

Together..

"You know me and Near dont work well together Roger. That.. we can't!" I exclaim. Fury replaced the burning excitement that was once in my eyes. "Which is precisely why it's important that you both try hard on this, think of it like a test, Mello." "Sounds like a great idea Roger." Near stands, his puzzle now completed. "Glad you agree, Here," He hands Near the papers. "I expect a daily report on how the project is going." He tells us, arising from his desk. I don't have a choice now do I. "..Fine." I mumble a little less furiously, at least it's only for three days.

"Great." He opens the door. "I expect you both to start on it today, and remember you only have to work on it during the morning times." I rolled my eyes as me and Near were both shown out of his office, he closed the door. "Here I have an idea," I say, turning to Near. "How about we both just do our own thing then add them at the end?"..A silence.. "I believe that's not what Roger asked of us." I hate how even when he should give me an attitude it's still always so emotionless... "I..I know it was just.." I look him in his eyes. Dark. Empty. Nothing. "..A stupid Idea." I hate how he's the only one who can make me feel the urge to shut up "I see.. Well, shall we get started?" He asks me, twisting his hair between his fingers. "I guess we have to, no reason to leave it for later. I'm going to the library." I avoid eye contact walking away. "I'll go too." He calls out to me, still quiet so as not to attract attention. He soon catches up and starts walking beside me. ugh.