Chapter 1: Scarlet Leaves

🍁🍁🍁

🍁🍁🍁

The border between Liyue and Inazuma is a wide ocean which The Crux is already familiar with. After the incident a few months ago in Inazuma, the Thunderstorm on that border is now gone, leaving the open area safe to travel to and fro between the two large nations. The high mountains of Liyue, as well as the Electro Archon's Statue of the Seven can be seen from afar. This is no longer new for Kaedehara Kazuha because he had traveled here countless times.

"A haiku and a sake in hand would be wonderful for this." Kazuha sighed.

"For someone your age, do you drink that much, huh?" Beidou, who is sitting next to him, spoke and glanced at him. "There is freshly brewed sake hidden in the bilge. We could have a drink with the crew later."

"This is just my expression, Captain Beidou, but thank you for the offer." The ronin smiled at Beidou.

"Hey Kazuha, what does ikigai mean?" Out of the blue, the captain of the crux asked the boy in red who was blowing a leaf as an instrument. He lifted his hands up to make the leaf dance with the wind.

"Ikigai means a reason for living," Kazuha smiled at his captain, "have you finally met an ikigai in your life, Captain Beidou?" The young ronin teased.

"Hah! There's more reason for living outside rather than meeting someone." Beidou stands up with arms akimbo. Kazuha chuckled at the captain's gestures. There was a moment of silence between them. He stared at the open waters, letting the sea breeze touch his skin. He has always been fond of traveling– a yearning for the wonders of the outside world.

"What about you, boy? Do you have someone in your life?" Beidou broke the silence between them, asking Kazuha. He looked at her, confused and unable to answer her question.

"Let me rephrase that. Do you adore anyone?" The captain asked once more.

"Adore is a strong word for now, Beidou. Though there is someone I find interesting," Kazuha answered with a small smile on his face. "The youngest daughter from the Kujou Clan."

"Oh, that adorable little sunshine?" Beidou smirked at Kazuha, "You have great taste."

"We rarely see each other, but when we do, we talk a lot. I saw her yesterday heading north from Konda Village, but I didn't get the chance to call out her name." Kazuha closed his eyes with a hint of slight disappointment. Beidou laughed at Kazuha's minor predicament, which made the young samurai sigh.
"You know, Kazuha, your admiration is like wine. New ones are good and fresh, but as soon as they start aging, they get better with time." The captain playfully punched Kazuha's arm with a large grin on her face.

"I am having a difficult time understanding you, Captain Beidou. My apologies." Kazuha stated and looked at Beidou. Kazuha knows the concept of adoration, but never had the chance to feel one. His life was full of loss. From his clan to his friend.

"You will, one day," Beidou replied. "to feel the warmth of tenderness is a great feeling."

"So, you do have an ikigai." Kazuha grinned at the lady.

After a deep conversation with Beidou, the ship arrived in Liyue Harbor. Kazuha sat foot on the pier to continue his usual routine. The harbor has never stopped being as busy as it is ever since he was a newcomer. The streets are full of chatter and negotiation between businesspersons and customers. Connoisseurs are entertaining themselves with Iron Tongue Tian, Tea Master Liu Su, and other storytellers in Liyue. The boy in red came across a shop called Mingxing Jewelry and saw a lovely kanzashi.

"This hairpin is made out of the finest materials. The habutai used is high quality. The cor lapis was skillfully carved by one of the greatest craftsmen here in Liyue. The jades are translucent and smooth, signifying its authenticity. Would you like to check it out?" Said Xingxi as she opened the box where the accessory was placed.

"I could tell this is a fine item," Kazuha paused for a while, "though I have no use of it." The lady frowned at his statement which she agrees because this hairpin was made for girls.

"But that doesn't mean I'm not buying it. May I ask if you can place it in a lovely jewelry box?" The young lad asked.

"Certainly. I have a few boxes in different colors, so feel free to choose one you like." Xingxi replied.
Kazuha was on his way to The Crux and to search for Beidou. He opened the small box in his hands to admire the jewelry once more.

"How did you manage Xingxi to sell that to you?" The young ronin happened to walk by Shitou and spotted kanzashi in his hand.

"I didn't. She offered it to me." Kazuha smiled and immediately walked away knowing what's about to happen next.

"Wait sir, I'll pay twice the price for it!" Shitou yelled, earning the people in the harbor's attention as Kazuha carefreely walked away and arrived at Beidou's ship.

"Ah, boy. You're here. Dinner is almost ready." Beidou ruffled Kazuha's hair.

"Beidou, can I ask you a favor?" Asked the young samurai. He took out the small jewelry box from his sleeves and showed it to the captain.

"What is it?" Beidou opened the small jewelry box and confusedly looked at Kazuha.

"If you ever cross paths, please give this to Lady Y/N on my behalf. If I remember correctly, her birthday is a month from now and I would like to give this to her." The samurai pleaded.

"You probably have encountered her more than I have. Kazuha, it would be best if you hand this to her in person." Beidou refused his favor and stated her suggestion.

"I guess you're right. When is the next ship to Inazuma?" He asked once more.

"I will take you there." Beidou smirked at Kazuha.

"So, you like that girl eh?"

🍁🍁🍁