Hecate II

"We were just sitting there, waiting for our orders. Icarus just playing with Noah, well, that's what he named the dog he just found...."

The sun beamed through any holes it could get through. The dog kept trying to catch the ball Noah kept throwing. Adalwolf came through the draping tarps. He looked at Noah and Adalhelm and sat down with them. He handed both of them an apple.

"You should eat as much as you can, we don't know how long we'll be here." He took an apple from his backpack and bit into it.

"What if the Germans don't come through?" Adalhelm said as he rubbed the apple.

"It doesn't really matter," Noah said as he cut the apple in half. "We just do our job and we get to go home." He gave the other half of the apple to the dog.

"Home?" Adalhelm said with his mouth full. "That's too far away. We're in fucking Germany for Christs' sakes." He chuckled. "Hell, if we're lucky, we might just make it back to HQ."

"We will make it back to HQ," Adalwolf said as he finished his apple. "Keep your cool."

"We're in the middle of someplace near Luxembourg. That's somewhat too far from the western front." Adalhelm said as he threw his apple down.

Sounds of German vehicles and soldiers were heard outside the farm. Noah quickly grabbed his sniper rifle and got into position. Adelhelm quickly grabbed his binoculars. Adalwolf took guard at the rear. Noah looked through the scope of his rifle and found a small squadron.

"I count about ten men. You?"

"I count seventeen," Adelhelm said. "Fire when ready."

The atmosphere grew colder as their heartbeats grew louder. Noah's finger ready to pull the trigger.

The German men marched side by side until one got shot. Noah quickly loaded the next bullet and fires again. The Germans quickly disbanded and hid behind cover. They shouted and quickly shot back where the bullets came from. Noah shot the next German he saw and loaded another bullet.

"Where's the fucking vehicle?" Adalhelm asked.

"Find it!" Noah said as he fired again.

An engine roared through the bushes and an armoured vehicle appeared before them. The turret faced them and they quickly ran out of the barn. The turret blasted massive holes in the wall.

"Fuck, they have a fifty!" Adalhelm shouted.

"Adalwolf, plant a mine in the direction they're going!" Noah demanded.

Adalwolf complied and took out a mine form his backpack. He planted it on the road and covered it with dirt. The next one was in the grass. The three quickly ran into the abandoned house and quickly barricaded the door. Bullets came raining through the windows and walls. Adalwolf peeked his head through a hole and saw the armoured vehicle burst into flames.

"Retreat to the second floor!" Noah shouted as he ran up the steps. "You and Wolfie get the stairs. I'll occupy a window." The two complied and flipped a table for cover. Noah ran into a room and punched a hole in the window. He put the barrel of his gun through and began to shoot soldiers one by one.

"What kind of fucking plan is this?!" Adalhelm shouted. "We have our backs against the wall!"

"Just shoot, dammit!" Adalwolf replied.

German soldiers infiltrated the house and the two shot at the ones who tried to come up the stairs. The German squadron slowly died and the three lowered their guns as the Germans retreated. The three sighed in relief. Noah put his rifle down and met up with the other two near the base of the stairs.