1

*Hey um about right now I'm gonna make another account and take the two books I have with me. Its gonna be called educationisdeadly. so go on that account instead when I make it at around 10:11 PM 08/12/23

Also for this book its gonna be kinda rewritten btw, so some parts are thankfully gonna be different.

AUGUST 27th, 1972

ICARUS BAR, LOWER EAST SIDE   

The two women stood past the sign that blocked the rest of Icarus Bar.

Icarus was a new bar that had recently opened, and already it was the center of a deathly scandalous affair between the wife of the Governor's right-hand man, her best friend, Florence Kate, and a waiter, who were both found dead inside. Elaine, the fiery brunette, decided to investigate how this might have happened, purely to avenge her, but when she'd arrived she'd met Angel.

Angel, the calm carnation, loved the drama, and the plays. It was a plus once the men of New York had decided that her and her immigrant Indian family were exotic enough to keep close . When she heard what happened , she, for entertainment, decided to uncover the juicy details of the affair.

They faced Icarus and felt a whisper of the mystery that surrounded it. Like the Owner. No one knew who he was or what he did, only his name.

Angel smiled and slowly turned to the other woman.

"You seem determined to find this owner, so don't worry love, even if he's handsome, he's yours"

**********

Elaine couldn't believe the nerve of this woman.

They'd just met but she dared to assume things. Elaine may have only seen her once, when she was riding a street car and saw Angel down the street, but everyone knew Angel Verona's reputation. Elaine hadn't known that the rumors were this true.

Angel noticed her fierce glare and smirked. She knew exactly what Elaine must have been thinking, especially since this was the famed Queen of noble New York. She must've been offset by Angel's unfeminine righteousness as her older brother liked to put it.

Angel herself had two brothers, her oldest brother, Alson, and her middle brother, Ace. The Family that had sponsored them to leave India and teach them English had given them American names so that they could fit in. She was the youngest and the favorite of New York's high society. Ace had escaped the family to make his own way in society, and Alson and Angel hadn't spoken about him for years out of fear of the Family.

"Fortunately, I have no need for a man who is less than noble like this Avlyn Eros"

Angel shook her head in displeasure. "I have heard many things about him, most less than satisfactory for a husband, but his right-hand Carlin Mede does seem like a gentleman."

Elaine frowned at the possibility of marrying a man such as Carlin Mede.

"I've heard he is a drunkard."

Angel grinned, "I'll make sure he becomes sober."

A man stepped out of the bar clearly drunk, Icarus had opened again recently, the murder having been staged months ago. Angel silently brandished her knife in anticipation, she had been in one too many of these situations for her to leave this alone. The man came up to the pair but upon noticing the sharp glare of the knife in Angel's hand quickly fell forward

"Please-please don't kill me!" His frightened eyes were frantic and Angel wanted to laugh at his misfortune. Elaine coldly stared down at the man on the concrete, and picked up a purse that he had dropped. She'd recognized the design and stilled.

Florence smiled at her, her ginger hair loose and wild, beckoning her with one gloved hand to follow, the other was holding a bag, the golden furnishings shining in the summer sun. Elaine followed, running with her. Her amber hair flowing in the wind as they made it to the cliff, breathing in the salty air of the sea.

This was the bag that Lady Florence Kate had with her the night she had told Elaine about Marvin, her lover. And the one she had been holding the night she died.

Elaine tried to calm herself, but instead ended up staring at the man violently. Angel noticed her staring and tilted her head a bit to the right, as if asking 'is anything wrong?' She had momentarily forgotten about the bag in her hand. Elaine retained her cold exterior by staring at the man at her heeled feet. "How did you attain this purse?" The man looked ready to give information about anything at this point. "Uh-I-CARLIN, Carlin Mede.." His voice drew to a whisper and slowly dimmed.

Angel fought to keep the surprise off of her face.

It was shocking that the man that she had been talking about so loosely, had been giving away the belongings of a dead person. She had half the mind to go up into that store and bang a 6 foot steel pole into the back of his head and could tell that Elaine was thinking the same.

"Elaine, darling, if this man is giving away a dead person's belongings to the most unfortunate, what do you think he'd do to us? A man so self-righteous is not a good one. "

Angel talked as if this was what her argument had been all along.

"First of all, Lady Verona we are not at all friends, so please refrain from addressing me as so, secondly I'm afraid you might be right"

Angel nodded, "My idea is that we go as someone different than us, common girls, ones not too quick to draw attention to themselves."

*******

When they finally made it into Icarus there was a crowd. But both women were only looking for one man tonight, Carlin Mede. Elaine's eyes strayed and focused on a man with bright amber eyes and golden skin. His eyes met hers and looked like he was telling her to come, to meet him, and she so desperately wanted to. But she had a mission, one she was determined to complete.

Angel found him.

Well, she asked at least twenty people and none of them told her until she showed off her knife. But to her, same thing. People said that Carlin Mede was a killer, he knew and he always had a plan.

She silently admired his flashy looks, golden hair, and arresting blue eyes, but quickly got back into shape. She ran back to Elaine to tell her.

"Ela-Eliza, I found him!"

Elaine's eyes flashed a confused look, but quickly adapted to her new name. They then flashed with hatred, hatred for letting her best friend get killed, hatred for not doing anything about it.

Elaine slowly calmed the part of her that wanted answers. Florence had left without a goodbye, without any note. The NYPD had said that this was common in secret lovers, committing suicide together. But she refused to believe that her Florence Kate would do something like that.

Elaine strayed her eyes back toward the man, and his beautiful eyes were still watching, waiting to see if she would come.

Maybe she would, just not today.