Chapter 7: new patients

he call Tommy was waiting for actually didn't end up being a phone call at all.

It happened in a text.

It was evening. Moonlight filtered through the window, lighting up the carpet with glowing white lines. For once, Tubbo and Ranboo weren't out doing whatever it was they got up to when it was late. Instead, they were there. Tubbo was working at his computer, head tilted so close to his screen Tommy debated yelling at him about how he was going to damage his eyes. Ranboo was settled on the couch next to Tommy, legs propped up on the coffee table and playing Mario Kart on the beat up Nintendo DS he found for cheap at a garage sale. Tommy, meanwhile, was trying to sew a patch onto Tubbo's sweatshirt because he got a hole in the armpit, and they couldn't afford to buy any new clothes right now.

It was quiet, and peaceful.

There was a buzz from Tommy's phone. He sighed and put down his sewing needle, digging into his pocket to take it out. When he saw the notification blaring across the screen though, his mouth went dry.

Unknown Number: Is this the number for the healer?

Fuck. Fuck. It had been almost two weeks since his run in with Blade and Zephyrus, and Tommy was starting to think they'd given him a break after all. That was stupid of him. He should've known this was going to come back up sooner or later.

Clenching his jaw, Tommy glanced at Ranboo from the corner of his eye, and was relieved to see he was still focused on his DS. Carefully angling his phone away from the boy, Tommy typed out a shaky response.

Tommy: Yeah, it is. Who is this?

The reply was almost instantaneous.

Unknown Number: A friend of the Blade's. I need help, and fast. Where can I meet you?

Swallowing down a lump in his throat, Tommy bit back a groan and dropped his head against the couch cushion. Shit. Tubbo and Ranboo were here, meaning he couldn't bring whichever villain this was back to the apartment to heal them up. Where the hell could he go where they wouldn't be found?

Tommy checked the time on his watch. It was a bit after midnight, and he had closed the cafe a little over an hour ago. Every other shop in that area was closed, and Tommy had the keys to the place sitting in his back pocket.

A plan was forming in his head. He wasn't thrilled about it.

Tommy: Can u get to The Cloudy Cafe? I can send u the address

Unknown Number: I know where it is

Tommy: get over there and head to the back alley behind the cafe, I'll meet u there in a few

Unknown Number: I don't care if the Syndicate is fond of you, if this is a trap I'm going to make you regret it

Tommy gulped, staring at the threat on his screen. Whoever he was dealing with, they didn't seem to be in a very cheerful mood.

Tommy: this isn't a trap, I'm not a fucking idiot

Unknown Number: Fine. See you soon

Dropping the phone on his lap, Tommy took a shaky breath and dragged his hands down his face. Great. Now he had to get to the cafe to heal another supervillain who may or may not kick his ass if they got too suspicious of him.

"You okay?" Ranboo's concerned voice made Tommy's head whip up.

"I'm fine," Tommy said immediately, shoving his phone in his pocket. "I just remembered that I forgot to put the milk back in the fridge at work. I need to go now before it goes bad."