Chapter 3

The next day I get all my chores done early enough to enjoy time alone in my room. As I try to read my book, the lights flicker. And flicker. And flicker out.

Complete darkness surround my room. Now I'd never tell anyone this but I am squeamish in pitch black. At 14, I do have a night light. It's been worse since Betty disapp- died.

I try to navigate through the dark to find the handle, then I hear... whispering. I can't make it out, just a lot of small whispers. I start to panic and make it to my door handle and frantically try to open it. But I can't, it seems like it's locked from the other side ,which is impossible because I have no lock on the other side of my door. I start to shout for my mom until I hear something. It's coming for my bed and it's like an outline of a girl standing near my bed.

"Lucy." It whispered sharply. It is Betty.

I run to the other side of my room where my window is but it feels as if the room expanded 100 feet. Bet- the girl whispers louder "You can float too" over and over again.

I throw my curtains open, but not before I feel a long unfamiliar hand touch my shoulder. I turn around, sunlight lights my room and I see nothing. I scrambled out my window quickly.

I walk around the streets shivering and I Stan walking home. Stan spots me and look at me with confusion. I start to walk toward him before I can stop myself. I'm gasping and pointing to my house but I know words can't explain what just happened so I don't speak. I grab onto him and he immediately brings me closer to him.

I sob into his chest. He doesn't ask me anything, just holds me close to him.