Chapter 5

"They say they found part of his hand all chewed up near the standpipe." Stan's voice shook.

"He asked for a pencil once." Ben remembers.

I flip up Edwards missing poster sign to reveal Betty's.

"It's like she's been forgotten because Corncuns missing." I say to them.

I flip it down. That's it for Betty? And when another kid goes missing, does this mean he's forgotten too? I'm angered and disgusted by this town.

Mike puts a reassuring hand on my shoulder. I'm grateful for his comfort, so I give him a soft smile.

"What are you guys talking about?" Asked Eddie.

"What they always talk about." Eddie hands Richie  an ice cream cone.

"I think it will end, for a little bit at least." Ben says.

"What do you mean?" Beverly asks.

"So I was going over all my dairy research and I charted out all big events. The Iron work's explosion in 1808, the Bradley gang in 35, the black spot in 62, and the kids going.... I realize this stuff seems to happen every-"

"27 years" Ben and I say at the same time.

We all go the bench to try to figure it out.

Stanley reveals he's being seeing stuff too.

Mike explains the burnt house, how he was there, and how he heard his parents scream for him.

Even Richie tells us how he's scared of clowns.

"Have you seen anything, Lucy?" Bills asks me.

"Yeah.. yeah I saw something." My voice is meek, like a mouse.

"What'd you see?" Beverly questions.

"I sa- I heard Betty... and I felt the clown."

"It almost got you?" Eddie asks me.

Bill says to meet him at his house in the morning, we all say our goodbyes, or I least try before Stanley walks with me home.

"Stan, I can bike myself."

"I know, I just wanted to walk you home." He said cheerfully.

I know this is about what I saw but I appreciate the gesture.

"Do you remember... Christmas?" Stan asks me after a few minutes of silence. "When I walked in the snow to give you a gift?"

I do remember, but I don't answer.

"I arrived in your window, I was cold and wet and you were so worried." He smiled softly as he recalled it.

"I remember your face lighting up when I reveled the gift wrapped poorly. And your smile glowing when you saw it." It was a Polaroid camera. "I remember you saying sadly that you didn't get me anything and i..." His face turned bright red.

"I said I can get you one thing though, which was a kiss." I finish for him.

"Yeah. But then I realized, I didn't want anyone else to have a memory like that with you. Including Mike."

"Stanley," I sigh, "don't do that... please?"

"Do what?" He asks innocently.

"Play the jealous type. Okay, Mike and I are just friends."

"He put his hand on you!" He says frustrated.

"So?" I say confused and angry. "He was comforting me." I explained. "That was it."

"Yeah okay." He says while rolling his eyes.

I scoff at him. Unbelievable.

"Look you don't have to play the jealous boyfriend type. Especially when your not my boyfriend." I remind him.

"See you tomorrow Stanley." I wave dismissively.

"Lucy." He sighs, but I keep walking, and eventually he walks the other way.