Prologue - How It All Started

Sometimes I close my eyes and imagine that I was running through a large field, filled with different kind of flowers. The sun shines so brightly I could feel my blood boiling underneath my skin and the birds dance happily in the skies like there were having a party. Rylie and Stacie run closely behind me shouting "Dad wait for us" and then my eyes open. It is the only way I manage to remain sane. My "imaginations" make me feel more alive than I have felt in the last ten years but emotions most times get the best of me. When I can't control my emotions, my imaginations soothes me right past them for at least a while before they come crumbling.

Yesterday i had to plunge an axe right through my best friend's head because he got infected with the virus. His body crumbled to the ground as I pulled the axe out of his head. I fell to the floor, with tears falling on but sides of my cheeks as I tried to get a grip of my emotions. Before we set out to look for more supplies, he told me that if he ever got bitten I should not hesitate to kill him but I hesitated not until he ran towards me, eyes red and teeth gnashing that I drew the axe out.

I dragged his body on the floor of the super market until I found myself at the entrance, where our old white Hilux was parked. I gently lifted his lifeless body which felt heavier than I thought into the cargo bed and then I got into the car and drove off. When I got home I made sure I dug a six fit hole to bury his body. Rylie and Stacie put an amateur cross on the grave when I was done covering the grave. Stacie made me promise that I would never die which I willingly did knowing I had no control over death. Someday she would realise that people don't just die, but die when it is their time.

I lead them into our little cabin and opened a can of beaf that was leftover from our last trip. Rylie said a hasty prayer before they both started eating. When they were done eating they both lay close to me as I Sang a lullaby I learnt a week ago. The candle only managed to illuminate where we were sitting and a little over the wooden chair by the window. As soon as I finished singing, I discovered my two little angels were fast asleep. I squeezed myself out of their grip and went to sit on the wooden chair by the window, a baseball bat in one hand while the other held tightly to a picture of my little angels and their mother dressed in matching outfits. I miss her so much.

**********************

When the virus struck, I could barely feel my legs, the fate I once enjoyed in horror movies had just been brought to life. I watched my once beautiful city burning in chaos like the midnight candle and I couldn't stop it. People with the virus had symptoms like swollen eyes, bleeding from the eyes and nose, chronic cough, seizures and insatiable craving for flesh.

It was almost like i leaped into another reality because what my eyes saw wasn't meant to be real. The fear in the faces of people around me made my heart skip beats and the rapid change of scenario felt surreal. I held my chest as I tried to control my rapid heart beats that felt like a thousand drums being struck at the same time.

I could hear the loud blowing of the sirens signifying danger, as I struggled grasp the scene unveiling right in front of me. Cars bumped into one another trying to zoom off to safety, children who fell while running were left behind by their parents in fear of death.

Now that reality that I always dreaded had materialized, the world I once knew went into oblivion like it never existed. People tore each other open like lions feasting on a gazelle.

But Like every story ever told, there's always a beginning and mine started twelve years ago in the city of El Paso Texas. when a scientist named Dr Rogine Osborn tested trial drugs from the research he was working on, on himself causing the first case of the Rogine Virus.

Dr Rogine was working on a research that he believed could make humans immortal and make blood cells immune to all diseases. A drug that could potentially eliminate death itself and create immortality.

This research was conducted on albino rats studying and taking samples from their brains. Through various stages of testing the results proved very disappointing, sometimes the test animals barely made to the next day before they died.

The secret project was called the "Octagon" project. Secretly funded by the government and big organizations around the world. Millions of dollars of stolen funds were pumped into something that would only be available to the rich and powerful.

Dr Rogine lost patience in the testing process and decided to test the trial drugs on himself and attacked other researchers on the project biting and infecting them, causing wide spread infections across The United States Of America and the Rest of the world.

Infection level Rose from thousands to tens of thousands within hours. Texas being the state with the most infection activated a state of emergency protocol.

With millions turned into walking corpses, a full state of emergency was activated and the military was sent to save the uninfected.

This is the story of my Last Days on Earth.