Chapter 36

A L L I E

Allie couldn't help but feel like she was walking into the lion's den as she stepped inside Dacian's apartment for the first time. She looked around curiously while Dacian shut and locked the door behind them.

His apartment had the same floorplan as hers, but his furniture was arranged differently. His bed was pushed all the way into the left corner by the windows, leaving an open space in the middle of the apartment. He had a punching bag in the corner to the right, and his desk sat against the left wall between his bed and the bathroom, facing the bed. She got the feeling he probably used his computer monitor as a TV and his bed as a couch to save on space and electronics.

A tall dresser sat between the bathroom and the closet door. His dining set and barstools were similar to hers. The only truly surprising thing was the blue mats that covered the large open expanse of floor in the center of his apartment.

He was watching her look around. "Is it all that you expected?" he asked mildly.

"Expected?" she echoed. Then she realized. He thought she'd wondered what his apartment looked like. Her cheeks turned red. "I wasn't expecting anything in particular," she said. "What are those?" She pointed to the blue mats.

"Wrestling mats."

"Oh." She swallowed. Why did that send heat through her? "You wrestle?"

"Yeah. I'm a fan of martial arts. Wrestling. Boxing."

"And weightlifting." She'd seen that firsthand.

"And weightlifting," he agreed mildly. "I started lifting weights and learning how to defend myself so I could fight back against my father. So I'd never be defenseless again. Then I just fell in love with it, and I've been doing it ever since."

"I'm sorry," she said sadly.

Dacian shrugged. "It's ancient history."

She considered the mats and the punching bag for a moment, and then eyed him with new eyes. You're big. You're strong. And you know how to fight and wrestle. Fantastic.

You could overpower me in a heartbeat and there wouldn't be anything I could do about it.

The thought sent heat sizzling through her.

Dacian smiled. "I know what you're thinking, Allie."

Oh god. "You do?" she squeaked.

He stalked closer. "I do. You're wondering what it would be like if I used my martial arts skills and my strength to dominate you."

Flames bathed her skin. "You're not wrong," she admitted.

He circled around her predatorily. "I know," he breathed. "It's also what I wanted to try with you."

Oh god. He ran his dark gaze down her body and Allie shivered at the possessiveness in the gesture.

She gasped when his arm wrapped around her and he forced her back up against the wall. He pinned her wrists firmly against the wall over her head. His huge, powerful body pressed against hers all the way down. Something rigid throbbed against her belly.

Desire slammed through her, making her head feel light and her knees weak. She thought he was going to kiss her, but instead he just watched her with that overly perceptive gaze and waited to see what she would do. How she would react.

Her heart was beating a mile a minute. She felt sure he could feel it, as her breasts were crushed against his chest. She pulled on her arms experimentally and his grip tightened a degree. It was infinitely obvious that she would not be able to break out of his hold. Her thighs moistened at the thought.