A Few Ideas

Chapter Seven

A Few Ideas

Merry

The best tricks are the simple ones. Something that does not require talent, rather simply understanding the basic principles of deception. If you do, you can reshuffle the world around you. The first step is distraction, you create a story. Something that they want to hear, or something they fear. That's when you make your move. Then comes the hardest part, the alternative. It requires thinking things through. What are the ramifications of the trick? For example, what do you do after you take Braga's purse?

First the distraction, and we needed a big one. I went over to the bar and took out my purse full of bandit's coin.

I only managed to say "next round is—"

when I was interrupted by a cheer from the villagers in the bar. Why would I buy them a drink? They owe me money, but its what they wanted to hear. Next, I hopped on to the stage and told them all I had a great story to tell.

The first move, Tony and Falven snuck out of the tavern. I was ten minutes into my tale of how I met the wandering drunk who became my mentor (he robbed me at my party), when a frantic ringing of a bell could be heard.

"Fire! The mill is on fire!" yelled Tony from outside.

Everyone in the tavern rushed outside looking determined. Braga and I then quickly exited from the back, heading for the stables and communal barn. The village was acting like a well-oiled machine, everyone, including the children were rushing in the dark with buckets in their hands. They headed for the stream outside the village, creating lines to pass buckets of water to the mill.

As Tony promised, Mr. Prike's stallions and carriage were at the stables, guarded by only one of Prike's men. Distracted, he turned around just in time to greet Braga's axe. Stepping over the unconscious man, I hastily saddled and mounted a sturdy chestnut coloured pony, while Braga took both stallions, mounting a huge black one and tying a snow-coloured horse behind him. We left the stables and barn open and headed for the western entrance. As we approached it, the last part come into play.

Once again, the bell started to ring,

"Bandits! Bandits entering the village!"

Following Tony's new alarm, the men left the smoldering mill to defend their property. I motioned Braga forward, to exit the village and rendezvous with Falven on the western side.

We had done it. The alternative was set in place. Bandits had set the mill on fire and used the distraction to enter from the eastern side and steal animals and horses. We were in the tavern, so how could we possibly light the fire? Our disappearance? We were running from the bandits who we couldn't defeat. As for Tony, who could doubt him? A respected veteran, a long-time member of the village. Were there other explanations that put us in a less favourable light? Most definitely, but at least this gave us plausible deniability. Besides, they will have more pressing concerns, than a few disappearing strangers.

Riding out of the village, I could feel someone was watching. That's when I realised, I miscalculated. Looking at us from a second story window, was Mr. Prike. He hadn't rushed to save his own property, he let the common folk put out the fire. He stared at me with such loathing, marking me as a personal enemy. Although I knew he was too far, I cursed him. The top of the windowsill he was peering out of broke. It fell on his head, not enough injure but enough to give me a smile.

Galloping away, my smile faded with the realization that we were now fugitives..