Chapter Two

Prill returned to the manor of her uncle, but she didn't rest.  After leaving Dilling in the experienced hand of his groom, Ross, she ran straight up to her small quarters and locked the door, only allowing the servant girl she sent for hot water to enter.  She was covered in mud from head to toe, and she smelled of rainwater.  She had to look as unsuspicious as possible when her uncle's men returned with the news, though she was sure he would suspect her anyway.  She had not only the means of racing through the rain and rescuing two women and one girl, she also had the motivation.

A small knock on the door signaled the arrival of the water, and Prill called the girl in.  She had the girl set the basin down, but shooed her away after that.  Prill denied her pleas of allowing her to at least pour water over her head.  She merely saw that as an unnecessary and useless addition, created only to make the upper classes even more stuck up then they originally were.  She bathed quickly and thoroughly, running her hands through her long locks.  It was wonderful to feel clean.  When she finished, she allowed her muddy riding clothes to soak in the leftover water before the the filth hardened.

She picked out a simple, everyday gown.  After many attempts of slipping into it by herself, she had to resign to calling another servant in to help her.  Noble dress was a skill the gods had overlooked during her creation.  She refused having any personal servants, so she mostly had her uncle's help her out when she needed.  She was sure to remember their names and make idle chat with them when her mind wasn't on business.

Other than her flawed cyphers, Prill was entirely uneducated to the lord and lady standards.  She scared her many tutors away in her childhood with her highstrung, lofty attitude and refusal to pay attention. She supposed that though she benefitted with it in many areas, her patience didn't extend itself to sitting one on one in a room reciting poems and counting numbers.  She was meant to be outside on Dilling racing the wind.  She was meant to be outrunning kings and lords and dukes and knights and outsmarting them again and again.  Her personal work with the Hood was more important than anything her uncle would ever assign her, so no matter what her punishment it came first.

Prill remained in her quarters, staring at the fire in thought.  She began to realize that she had been completely still, her back straight and stiff with her chin tilted slightly to the side.  She corrected herself instantly by allowing herself to slouch and twitching her ankle.  No normal human sat perfectly still for too long.  Even she only did when she was in deep concentration, and the only time she concentrating was when she was performing her duties.  Not young lady of Rhengar duties, but the many duties that came with being the head of the Hood.

A knock on the door broke her out of the invisible route she was drawing in her head to ship the three unfortunate ladies out.  "L-Lady Priella?  The Lord would like to sp-speak with you," came the timid voice of a servant girl.  Prill felt a flash of resentment when she heard her real name.  The girl must be new, because all servants knew to call her Prill when her uncle wasn't present.  He believed that "Prill" was not quite ladylike, but in honesty she didn't give two dragon feces about what her uncle thought was right.

With her chin in the air, Prill strutted to the throne room taking her own sweet time.  She wasn't afraid of her uncle, she just knew how jittery and out of sorts he got when he waited.  He was a very impatient man.  But in the meantime, she admired the different merchant stands in the Great Hall.  One lady had beautiful, exotic flowers.  Another sold many fine cheeses.  Although each merchant was hand picked by the lord himself and were top of the line, Prill showed little interest in most of their products.  

Although in one stand she did hold some interest, and it was easy to spot in the crowd.  The man who ran it was broad and immensely tall.  Prill herself was taller than his waist by a few inches.  She approached him and his tough demeanor broke away in a toothy grin when he saw her.